I am planning out a turtle enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtlefever

5 Year Member
OK, so I have an idea of the size either 25 X 15 or 30 X 10. I am going to have a water feature on one end and I am getting also sorts of edible plants that will work well in my weather zone. I know I need to have a burrowing area. Part of it will have morning sun and the other will have partial afternoon sun (which can be pretty intense). I have one more question. How high should the fence (or in my case the rock wall) be to keep the turtles in their garden?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
I have a rock wall for my turtle garden. It's 15 in. high and the top is larger pieces of slate that are overlapping to about 5 or 6 inches. They are unbelievable climbers. I had to move a big hosta because I saw one on top of the hosta going right over to the overlapped slate. They will climb on anything

txturtle13

5 Year Member
I'm at the same point as you... Building my rock wall, high enough so that they can't escape. As well as sturdy enough so it doesn't fall over. I'm giving up on my landscaping rocks, and going to invest in pavers that are smooth for stacking. Ill post pics when I'm done. Good luck!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Like Terryo said, try to fix it so the top rock overhangs and makes a lip.

txturtle13

5 Year Member
I've seen some of TerryOs pics on TurtleTimes. I tried to copy those with my rocks, but wasn't able to stabilize them. Working on getting new rocks. Can't wait to finish the enclosure :)

txturtle13

5 Year Member
Ill be working on the enclosure this weekend. Post some pictures when you've made progress. I'm still hunting for ideas.

*i didn't mean to post the picture and don't know how to delete it.... But I made Dora a rock cave... sorry for posting on your thread! Lol

My Loves:
My Husband
2 Dogs
2 Three toed box turtles
1 Betta fish

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortForum1376596090.420490.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1376596090.420490.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 31
Status
Not open for further replies.