I am so FURIOUS with my neighbors right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantom9

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Elverta, CA (Just outside of Sacramento)
I don't envy the op and the situation they are in but I live out in the sticks and if I could call the aspca on the a-holes who abandon dogs and cats by my house I would in a heart beat. I have seen far too many get hit around sharp corners and on the levee. The ability to be able to save atleast one animal even if you burn a few bridges would be worth it to me.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Have you ever groomed a matted dog, or shaved one? It might be a nice gesture, next time you see her, to offer to take care of the dog's coat for her...or even offer to take the dog to the groomer for her.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I would tread lightly when dealing with this woman. First of all, her drunkard husband is likely an abuser himself. Secondly, if he physically abuses his wife, and someone tries to get in between their way of living, he can turn on you. The abused, his wife, is likely neglecting/abusing the animals (or he may be responsible for that too), because she's being abused. This whole thing can get ugly real fast.

If I were you Ellen, I would stay as far away as possible from them. If you hear fighting or quarreling going on there, call the police. Remember, people who abuse poor, defenseless animals are very likely to abuse humans too.

ellen

5 Year Member
Sonoran Desert
I know of at least one more turtle. A hatchling that, if it's still alive, should be about six months old by now. I asked my mom more about the woman and found out the following: She's sick in bed with kidney stones and all of said abused animals apparently belonged to her daughter. Her daughter's constantly running around with shady looking men so I think her mother's stuck taking care of the discarded pets...

But at the same time they're from Mexico, here legally - she was so excited to tell my mom that she was closed to becoming a naturalized citizen, and there could be cultural factors involved with why they aren't taking care of their animals. This neighborhood is primarily Hispanic (myself included but my ancestors were here before Arizona became part of the US), and no one really lets their dogs into the house? I'd really need to look into the subject more before making such wild claims but it's kind of the "norm". My next door neighbor's parakeets even spend the day outside.

As for the poor mother turtle, I waited too long. :( By the time it cooled down enough to go dig a hole, it was gone. I don't know if it's been pushed somewhere down the road or if it was taken with the trash or what...

On a brighter note, the kittens are doing wonderfully. They're chubby now, constantly purring, and always on your lap kneading and/or trying to nurse on your clothing. No signs of parasites, infections, or fleas. My brother named them Cicero and Astrid.

cisandastrid.JPG

I took this the day I brought them in. You can tell Cicero (tabby) was in a lot worse shape than Astrid. I couldn't believe she was a cat! I thought she was some kind of squirrel at first. I went out to catch her and then Astrid appeared out of nowhere as he's still prone to do so I brought him, too.

I'll take an updated picture the next time I can get them to sit still. Their old names were "Lee" and "Africa". Take a guess who was who. lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.