I am still a little new to raising my tortoises

Bass.Isles

Okay, good. Don't ever do it again, if it's something they're going to be consuming.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
Well Evan,
A very warm welcome to the tortoise forum to you and your two tortoises. For the most part I concur with the above posts, but I would, at this point be soaking them separately in warm water daily and I would be changing up the diet offered to contain less store bought greens and more tortoise safe weeds and grasses. While collecting wild greens, be most careful that you do not collect from an area that has been treated with any chemical pesticides or herbicides as these can cause serious health issues with your tortoises. I do all my food collecting in my backyard keeping it safe for my tortoises. If you have more questions, feel free to ask and members here will be happy to help and answer them.
Cowboy Ken

Evan Gardella

Boyd, Tx
Okay, good. Don't ever do it again, if it's something they're going to be consuming.

Also i cant really raise the humidity right now because the bedding they have will mold like crazy thats why im ordering some coco coir

I bought some of the seed mixes you sent me
Whats the best way to grow them fall is here and it can get cold as nd winter is soon
Can this stuff grow in fall and winter or do i have to keep it inside on window sill or can it grow in the winter

Bass.Isles

Also i cant really raise the humidity right now because the bedding they have will mold like crazy thats why im ordering some coco coir

Whats the best way to grow them fall is here and it can get cold as nd winter is soon
Can this stuff grow in fall and winter or do i have to keep it inside on window sill or can it grow in the winter
I'm gonna PM you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Evan, Did you read rise threads?

You need:
  • A closed chamber to be able to maintain the warmth and humidity. For this size tortoise you need at least a 4x8' enclosure for one.
  • To separate these two ASAP. They should never live as a pair. This means two closed chambers.
  • To get orchid bark. Coco coir will be too messy and it will dry out and get dusty in an open topped enclosure anyway.
  • Orchard grass hay or bermuda grass hay, instead of timothy. Timothy is too stemmy, especially for little ones.
  • To stop with the romaine. And there is only one kind of romaine. Its not good for them. If you must use grocery store foods, use a lot of endive and escarole, but offer a lot of variety. Best to use the right weeds, leaves, flowers and succulents from outside instead.
  • To read the threads that were linked earlier in your thread. All of this is explained in those threads.

Bass.Isles

Evan, Did you read rise threads?

You need:
  • A closed chamber to be able to maintain the warmth and humidity. For this size tortoise you need at least a 4x8' enclosure for one.
  • To separate these two ASAP. They should never live as a pair. This means two closed chambers.
  • To get orchid bark. Coco coir will be too messy and it will dry out and get dusty in an open topped enclosure anyway.
  • Orchard grass hay or bermuda grass hay, instead of timothy. Timothy is too stemmy, especially for little ones.
  • To stop with the romaine. And there is only one kind of romaine. Its not good for them. If you must use grocery store foods, use a lot of endive and escarole, but offer a lot of variety. Best to use the right weeds, leaves, flowers and succulents from outside instead.
  • To read the threads that were linked earlier in your thread. All of this is explained in those threads.
Ohhh, I've never given the endive or escarole! I love giving her new things to try. I'm gonna go get some. Hopefully Publix or Earth Fare may have some. And those are both okay to give often?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ohhh, I've never given the endive or escarole! I love giving her new things to try. I'm gonna go get some. Hopefully Publix or Earth Fare may have some. And those are both okay to give often?
Yes. For people who must use grocery store food, those two should be the main ones, but lots of variety is good too.

Bass.Isles

Yes. For people who must use grocery store food, those two should be the main ones, but lots of variety is good too.
Awesome. I get my dandelion greens and wheatgrass at Earth Fare as well.