I am worried about my new Hermann's tortoise

titusthetortoise

Location (City and/or State)
London
Hello everyone! I really love this forum and I am so glad I found it.

I have a lovely new Hermann's tortoise, who I've named Titus (though of course we don't know his sex yet!) He is 11 months.

I have experience with many animals, and I foster kittens etc, but have never had reptiles! I love him. I am just a little bit worried about my setup and I thought I'd seek some advice.

I have an open top tortoise table, which I purchased alongside my tortoise with the advice from the breeder I got him from. It's basically this tortoise table: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07XT7XTL2/?tag=

I'm in London, UK, in a flat on the 9th floor of my building. I am getting married next year and will be moving in with my fiancee who has a garden so when he gets a bit bigger we will likely house him there. I use hemp bedding as advised by the breeder. He seems happy, is eating well and basking well. He has a full spectrum heat/uv lamp during the day and a heat mat at night to heat his chamber on the left of the table to about 22-25C.

I am worried about humidity. In the little chamber the humidity reader I have reads about 50%, but in the main area it is about 20/25%! The breeder assured me the setup would be ok for the little tort, but I wanted to check with you if this is ok. I want him to develop well and be healthy, no pyramiding/respiratory issues. Should I invest in a vivarium to keep in some more humidity? I do spray the table daily and give him regular soaks, which he seems to like. I mix cucumber in with his greens because he seems to like it and I figure it'll get more water in.

Please advise lovely tortoise people! Should I get a vivarium, is it okay as is? Should I change the hemp out for a different substrate that might hold water better?

Thank you.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
This is the up to date caresheet you need to help you with your set up.
Sadly pet shops or breeders often give out old information, but this will help you correct any mistakes and tell you what temps, substrate, diet etc your tort needs.
Vivs are often preferred for babies as its easier to control temps and humidity. If you post some pics of his enclosure you'll get great feedback to make sure your tort is happy and healthy and ask as many questions as you like.

titusthetortoise

London
Hi and welcome,
This is the up to date caresheet you need to help you with your set up.
Sadly pet shops or breeders often give out old information, but this will help you correct any mistakes and tell you what temps, substrate, diet etc your tort needs.
Vivs are often preferred for babies as its easier to control temps and humidity. If you post some pics of his enclosure you'll get great feedback to make sure your tort is happy and healthy and ask as many questions as you like.
Thank you Lyn, this is very helpful. I have made him a humid hide this evening and I will look into getting a vivarium soon or a glass sheet to cover my tortoise table. Also some good info on food I think I will start growing some food since I imagine the food I'm feeding him won't be growing in the winter months so won't be so available.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is a good guide to tort safe foods
Make the viv as large as you can or another solution would be to cover the table you have with a portable mini greenhouse.