I built the 2x4x2 wooden enclosed habitat

Torkoal#1

Location (City and/or State)
Dadeville
So I sealed my enclosure with drylock extreme and so it's all white. Has anyone left tit like this and had no issues with the tortoise trying to scratch and eat the white walls amd floor, sense they like white stuff that indicates calcium to them. Or do you paint it and if you paint it what paint do you use to hold up to the daily sprays of water not to mention the floor if you paint it brown or just cover it with a pond liner or something.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What size tortoise is this for? That's a small enclosure for anything bigger then a hatchling up to about a year old.
Usually once they test it out and realize its not edible they leave it alone until they see it again, then they will try it again. Seeing it's the walls and s/he will be seeing it all the time, s/he likely would only try to eat it once.

Torkoal#1

Dadeville
Here are some pictures of the air holes I made, I want to make them bigger I think, and more of them possibly to make them not look so random lol... I domr mind the look as long as it's good for my tortoise I'm happy. So what do you think bigger air holes or just more of them or both more and bigger.20220430_224626.jpg20220430_224656.jpg20220430_224712.jpg20220430_224724.jpg20220430_224735.jpg20220430_224609.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your lamp fixtures need to be hung from over head. Those clamps always fail. It could burn down your whole house.

If that is an HO tube, it is much too close. What type of UV tube do you have?

What species is this for? It looks very dry.

Only your hygrometer can tell you if you need more vent holes. If it is staying too humid all the time, add more ventilation. If its is staying too dry, cover up some of the holes.

Tort needs a humid hide.

Torkoal#1

Dadeville
For a red footed tortoise, t5 6%uvb 4 ft fixture, 50w ceramic heaters cam I get the name of the overhead holders for the ceramic fixture for heating bulbs. It is verry humid and dry looking os good I got wet at dry substrate on top moist on bottom. The t5 uvb light will be in place one foot above the ground level and the ceramic heaters are just there to keep it warm and a basking spot under the t5 light it provides heat enough in the middle where I setup his basking spot. I drilled more holes and made them all bigger it's still holding too much so I keep it cracked open tomorrow I'll drill more holes. I added plants and a small fan to pull in air and plants will cycle co2 to oxygen equal exchange between co2 to oxygen. But I need more plants for a fresher air. I put seeds all in the substrate
Your lamp fixtures need to be hung from over head. Those clamps always fail. It could burn down your whole house.

If that is an HO tube, it is much too close. What type of UV tube do you have?

What species is this for? It looks very dry.

Only your hygrometer can tell you if you need more vent holes. If it is staying too humid all the time, add more ventilation. If its is staying too dry, cover up some of the holes.

Tort needs a humid hide.

Torkoal#1

Dadeville
I still need to setup lights in there permanent spots and add more substrate and plants. Thank you all for your help.