I call them PYGMY Redfoots

Status
Not open for further replies.

amazoa

5 Year Member
About 4 years ago I adopted a female Redfoot which I estimated to be 4 years old. When she was almost 7 years old she started laying eggs but they were really small (like the size of a marble). None hatched. The next season 2 layings none hatched still eggs were small. This season she laid again small eggs but this time on day 140 they hatched. I have a penny next to a couple of hatchlings so you can see how tiny they are. In the second picture I put a more average size hatchling between the two Pygmies. I have been breeding redfoots for over 20 years but nerver ever experienced any hatchlings as small as these......Mother Nature is amazing.....Have a Good Weekend all---Richard

Attachments

• P6147828p.jpg
    P6147828p.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 181
  • P6147831com.jpg
    P6147831com.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 189

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
WOW, they are really small. Keep us informed on how they do. Are you going to keep any to see what size they grow up to be? Would be interesting.

amazoa

5 Year Member
wellington said:
WOW, they are really small. Keep us informed on how they do. Are you going to keep any to see what size they grow up to be? Would be interesting.
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Tom they caught up pretty quick after 2 months of growth. I sold them all but she laid again this past Sept. and this time I will keep a couple of the offspring and keep some records on their weight and growth. It would be interesting to keep track of that and compare % of weight gain each month when compared with some of my average sized hatchlings. - Richard

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Cool! This is from one specific female. Is she average sized??

amazoa

5 Year Member
kanalomele said:
Cool! This is from one specific female. Is she average sized??
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

She is smallest female but plastron length is 9 inches. Each year she lays eggs I expect them to improve in size. I had a couple of females I traded some Boas I bred back in 1995. They started out laying small eggs that were infertile and like her in a couple of years the eggs started hatching. Progressively the eggs from these twins are good average size redfoot eggs. One very cool fact about these Twin females I have they have on many ocassions backed up close to one another and laid their eggs. I'll include a photo of that happening here--Cheers--Richard

Attachments

• 360doubleplay-med.jpg
    360doubleplay-med.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 67

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
It'll be interesting to see what her egg and hatchlings sizes are if/when she gets bigger.

Very neat, thanks for sharing!

Nerdling

5 Year Member
Edmonton
Omg they're so wee!!!!! Freakin adorable. I'd be interested to see how they grow relative to a larger hatchling.

Status
Not open for further replies.