i can't get my baby leopard to eat! help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pookiebear

5 Year Member
Hello, I have a baby leopard tortoise, i think probably around 2-3 months old. He drinks water, but I cannot get him to eat anything! He is kept in a big plastic 'under the bed' type storage container with my 1-2 year old leopard.
I am currently using fir bark as substrate, they have a heating pad, a uvb bulb, and a heating pad. Basking temperature is kept at 90-95.
I have tried feeding various greens, grass (cut as well as out in the yard), grass pellets, etc. But nothing will work.

Is he sick or is this just a phase that little leopards go through?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
He is probably stressed. Tortoises are solitary by nature, and having him housed with a tortoise that much older means that he is probably undergoing mental/physical bullying.

My suggestion is to get him into his own habit ASAP, and then if there are still problems, we can go from there. Babies can go downhill VERY fast once they stop eating, so you need to do this right away.

In the meantime, try some baby food soaks. Set up a warm water soak and add a jar of baby food carrots or squash. This will help get some nutrition into him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi pookiebear:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
They do go thru phases.. but he really needs his own home.
Where did you get it from? contact them and see how it was housed and
what it ate.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Try canned pumpkin,or oatmeal (might not be the best for all the time, but). I feel that it's better to eat a questionable diet than nothing at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.