I cant get my red footed tortoise to eat

Kim72

Location (City and/or State)
williamson wv
I have had my new tortoise Rio for about two or three weeks. I can not get him to eat a thing. The first week he did eat a few bites of a banana but refuses to eat or even try to eat anything else. We have tried various greens,fruits, tortoise foods nothing. He is drinking water thou. I got him out for his walk around the house this evening and one of his eyes would not open. I gently wiped it with a warm cloth and it has open some now. I have add calcium to his food but if he is not eating it hes not getting the calcium. Rio is my first tortoise and I have wanted one for years. I have proper enclosure and humidity and heat and uv lights. I am getting different bedding that will be put down tomorrow but I am at a loss. Can someone throw me a few pointers so I can get my little guy going. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I have had my new tortoise Rio for about two or three weeks. I can not get him to eat a thing. The first week he did eat a few bites of a banana but refuses to eat or even try to eat anything else. We have tried various greens,fruits, tortoise foods nothing. He is drinking water thou. I got him out for his walk around the house this evening and one of his eyes would not open. I gently wiped it with a warm cloth and it has open some now. I have add calcium to his food but if he is not eating it hes not getting the calcium. Rio is my first tortoise and I have wanted one for years. I have proper enclosure and humidity and heat and uv lights. I am getting different bedding that will be put down tomorrow but I am at a loss. Can someone throw me a few pointers so I can get my little guy going. Thanks in advance for all your help.
When their environment changes they will sulk for awhile, mine did. My advice would be stop taking him out of his enclosure for a walk around the house. This is probably stressing him out. Leave him in his enclosure to settle in. Too much calcium powder will also make them not eat there food. Have you tried Mazuri? Also for the eye not opening, what kind of light are you using.

Kim72

williamson wv
I have tried to feed him with and with out the calcium because I thought that was why he wasn't eating it. What is Mazuri? I have a uv and heat light that does not light up and a reptile fogger to help keep the humidity up. We even got a controller to help regulate the heat and the humidity. He may be sulking I have not taken him out in a couple of days but thought I would try to tonight. He seems to like walking around but I will keep him in the enclosure if that will help for sure, I heard him sneeze a couple of time a week or so ago but has not since and there is not discharge from his face at all.Thank you for your response. Ill take any and all ideas at this point. I love Rio already bunches and I am trying my very best to make sure I am doing what is best for him.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Mazuri is a Tortoise pellet. It's literally Tortoise crack. There's 2 formulas the original and LS (low starch) the original is harder to find you'd have to order it but the LS is sold at petco, PetSmart, etc. I get the original here https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mazuri-Tortoise-Diet-Iguana-Crocodile-REPTILE-Food-FRESH-from-bulk-Choose-Size/253440625811?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160908105057&meid=6a7038d2c12f44e7a527ea896fe16947&pid=100675&rk=3&rkt=15&mehot=pp&sd=290985947189&itm=253440625811&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci:1757290f-203e-11e9-bf9d-74dbd18066f4|parentrq:828f75371680a9cc5a4f28d5fffc2d36|iid:1 Most torts prefer the original better though. If you get a bag you soak the pellets in water and they become soft, then you can mush it up and mix it in with with whatever it is he doesn't want to eat to get him to eat it. If he will still eat banana, try doing the same with that. If he's not sick he won't starve himself to death, he will eat eventually. Good luck, and welcome to the forum. From a fellow Redfoot keeper.