I cant tell if my new buddy is CB or WC

Lexitacos

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I just got my first Russian Tortoise, I've wanted one for years and I already have done as much research as possible to make sure hes happy. The pet store I bought him from is locally owned and generally really cares about their animals. They told me that he is captive bred but I just want to make sure beacuse of a lot you guys in here seem to know what youre talking about!

Attachments

• Snapchat-1854852159.jpg
    Snapchat-1854852159.jpg
    551.5 KB · Views: 67

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just got my first Russian Tortoise, I've wanted one for years and I already have done as much research as possible to make sure hes happy. The pet store I bought him from is locally owned and generally really cares about their animals. They told me that he is captive bred but I just want to make sure beacuse of a lot you guys in here seem to know what youre talking about!
Its WC. CB adults generally don't look that weathered and chipped up, and CB adults are seldom seen for sale, especially in a pet shop.

Since they gave you the wrong info on that, the care info and products they sold you are likely all wrong too. Pet shops seldom get it right when it comes to tortoises. Here is the current and correct care info: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/

Lexitacos

Michigan
Its WC. CB adults generally don't look that weathered and chipped up, and CB adults are seldom seen for sale, especially in a pet shop.

Since they gave you the wrong info on that, the care info and products they sold you are likely all wrong too. Pet shops seldom get it right when it comes to tortoises. Here is the current and correct care info: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/
Thank you for answering, Im upset that they lied about him being CB but i bought all his supplys on my own accord doing my own research so he will be well care for!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you for answering, Im upset that they lied about him being CB but i bought all his supplys on my own accord doing my own research so he will be well care for!
Did you do the research for the supply on this forum or the internet?
Most if not all info out on the web is wrong. Be sure to still check out the link Tom gave you and compare what you have and learned to what the forum says.

Lexitacos

Michigan
Did you do the research for the supply on this forum or the internet?
Most if not all info out on the web is wrong. Be sure to still check out the link Tom gave you and compare what you have and learned to what the forum says.
Ive been on this forum for a year, and the internet, youtube videos, ect. Ive known of Toms care guide long before he linked it haha?

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
I agree that he looks old enough to be wild caught. The captive breds tend to be small babies, not almost adult or adult. I got a WC too and it just took him a few days to get used to the new habitat before he would eat, but he is still wary of me when I try to touch him. I am taking it real slow, he doesn't hide in his shell when I feed him any more so we are making progress. Your guy looks like he will make a great pet. You should be able to tell the sex now too. Welcome to the forum.

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada

Are there less Russian tort breeders in the US? Seems I read a lot of Russians come from pet stores.

Lexitacos

Michigan
I agree that he looks old enough to be wild caught. The captive breds tend to be small babies, not almost adult or adult. I got a WC too and it just took him a few days to get used to the new habitat before he would eat, but he is still wary of me when I try to touch him. I am taking it real slow, he doesn't hide in his shell when I feed him any more so we are making progress. Your guy looks like he will make a great pet. You should be able to tell the sex now too. Welcome to the forum.
Hes a mature male from the looks of his tail thanks for the welcome!