I.D. please

RALeader

Location (City and/or State)
Syracuse
Hi I just was given this turtle I know nothing about him people gave me very little information other than they were feeding him raw chicken and he’s not a water turtle any information would help even to know what he is so I could do more research to better give him the proper home he deserves

Attachments

• 91CB3AEC-090F-41A8-AD57-345A0B51763C.jpeg
    91CB3AEC-090F-41A8-AD57-345A0B51763C.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 6
  • 8C8DEBF8-E287-47F4-A4B6-B3D11FCF09E1.jpeg
    8C8DEBF8-E287-47F4-A4B6-B3D11FCF09E1.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Need better pictures. in particular:
1 -straight on showing face, beak and front leg markings.
2 - side of head and neck markings.
3- you had a good plastron shot but your hands blocked the marking on the marginal which can be quite helpful.

From what I see it looks like an older Northern Map Turtle female. Graptemy geographica

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He's very dirty so hard to tell, but I'm leaning towards Central.American ornate wood turtle.

Please scrub him clean and take more pictures for us.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
my guess would be cyclemys or heosemys .... no matter what it is , i'm about positive that is a water turtle , semi terrestial ....

Leaf_turtle_Cyclemys_species.jpg

RALeader

Syracuse
Need better pictures. in particular:
1 -straight on showing face, beak and front leg markings.
2 - side of head and neck markings.
3- you had a good plastron shot but your hands blocked the marking on the marginal which can be quite helpful.

From what I see it looks like an older Northern Map Turtle female. Graptemy geographica
I will deffinately post better pics when I get home from work ty

RALeader

Syracuse
So it's pics of face,legs, and markings of marginal and a good bath,
The shell almost feels scaley .
Will post my pics when I get home.

RALeader

Syracuse
He's very dirty so hard to tell, but I'm leaning towards Central.American ornate wood turtle.

Please scrub him clean and take more pictures for us.
What do I clean the Turtle with soft brush
It's a very active Turtle.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome.
I don't know anything about turtles but until you get a definite ID maybe put him in a tub he can't climb out of with shallow, luke-warm water - just up to where the top and bottom shell meet (not covering his head in case he is a land tortoise) and use something to pour water over his shell while gently using a soft brush to remove any mud etc.
Once you know what he is I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction for the caresheet.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
my guess would be cyclemys or heosemys .... no matter what it is , i'm about positive that is a water turtle , semi terrestial
Yes! It is a species of Cyclemys, the hinge line on the plastron gives it away. I am not sure which species as they are difficult to tell apart. Old adult.

They need an enclosure that is 50/50 shallow water and land area, and need to be warm (80’s F) and humid. Diet is omnivorous, fruits with some meat (insects, fish, shrimp, etc).

Steve

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
All turtles should have access to at least medium size quantities of water if not large. (Depending on species). So get him in a larger enclosure and maybe have half of the enclosure water and the other half land. At least have 1/4 of the enclosure supplied with water.

RALeader

Syracuse

RALeader

Syracuse
Yes! It is a species of Cyclemys, the hinge line on the plastron gives it away. I am not sure which species as they are difficult to tell apart. Old adult.

They need an enclosure that is 50/50 shallow water and land area, and need to be warm (80’s F) and humid. Diet is omnivorous, fruits with some meat (insects, fish, shrimp, etc).

Steve
Thank u for helping me make the turtle Happi knowledge is priceless

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Much better pictures!

Asian Leaf Turtle Cyclemys dentata

From Indonesia, Malaysia, Bali, etc. Care would be the same as for a Wood Turtle or Spotted Turtle except this is a tropical species and needs warmth year-round. So as you would care for a wood turtle in summer!

RALeader

Syracuse
Much better pictures!

Asian Leaf Turtle Cyclemys dentata

From Indonesia, Malaysia, Bali, etc. Care would be the same as for a Wood Turtle or Spotted Turtle except this is a tropical species and needs warmth year-round. So as you would care for a wood turtle in summer!
Markw84 thank u for ur knowledge