I Did Another Bee Beard...

Bee62

Location (City and/or State)
Germany
As an 8 year old I would catch honey bees by pressing their wings together. Occasionally I’d get stung. I’d slap mud on it and all would be fine. Then the 8 year old girls stopped being impressed so I quit.
Jump forward 10 years. I had a wild hive in my garage wall. One morning I was out hanging with them and my dog got lucky and actually snapped one and injured it. The bee gods were out and active that morning. It landed on my barefoot of course! I got stung. I we up to the house and made some mud and applied it. I needed to hurry to make it to school. My tongue very soon started to swell. I called my high school counselor then and told her what was happening. She freaked out alittle and told me to meet her out front she was taking me to the Emergency Room at the Hospital! She drove like crazy. We walked in, she said “bee sting, looks allergic!!” They said “meet us at the double doors!”
Some EMT’s were in the ER, the Doctors called them in to view how quickly a person can be affected the EMT’s where somewhat surprised. Only honey bees. None of the other stinging insects can bother me.
It is amazing and surprising how or that you got the bee allergy when you got older. Your story tells me that we can never be safe not to get an allergy. Sometimes a human body reacts strange.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
It is surprising that you got the bee allergy when you got older. Your story tells me that we can never be safe not to get an allergy. Sometimes a human body reacts strange.

What did me in was my body overreacting to the single bee sting and going all out to save me. Had I been stung by say 5 bees, I likely would have been fine. That was something like 40 years ago and I started going to UCLA medical for weekly bee venom injections. All they were giving me was .003-.002% of a bees venom with the idea to get a maintenance amount in my system and I could taste it in my body. But I was young and stopped going.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Lucky you, That's my favorite TV series. I've watched every show at least twice for the first 12 seasons and waiting for season 13 to begin next Friday. Did you come up with Bug Wrangler ?
Is that what they called me? No. Not my invention. I've been called worse.

Melis

Maryland
Wow! I’ve never been stung by a bee! Or had poison ivy. Which has always seemed strange to me since I grew up always being outside

mrnewberry

5 Year Member
N.W. Arkansas
Cool to see that you are into bees. I had bees for several years. Very interesting creatures.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Cool to see that you are into bees. I had bees for several years. Very interesting creatures.
I'm fascinated by all the details of how they live and prosper. The bee keeper I work with has been doing it for 50 years! I've learned a ton from him. I don't think most people realize how much we need bees for our own survival.

mrnewberry

5 Year Member
N.W. Arkansas
I'm fascinated by all the details of how they live and prosper. The bee keeper I work with has been doing it for 50 years! I've learned a ton from him. I don't think most people realize how much we need bees for our own survival.

They are pretty cool in how you are more keeping an organized community than just a group of organisms. Kind of like a civics lesson.