I don’t know what to do, please help

Jaid10

Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi. I’m 11 years old and have two Sulcata tortoises. So... here’s my story on tortoise forum. I got my first tort when I was 6. As you may be able to guess I had no idea how to take care of her. So, for around six years she got horrible care. Now she is a 10 inch long, pyramiding Sulcata. I hate myself for this. I never new what to do, I should have looked it up. I should have tried harder!
Anyways, for my 11th birthday I ended up getting another baby tortoise. At this time I still didn’t how to properly take care of them. One day though, I had a question for my tortoise. I’m so thankful that I did because after that I stumbled across the forum! There, with the help of you guys, I learned so much about they’re care! I ended up putting my older Sulcata in a 10 by 10 foot enclosure outside! That summer she ate grass. For my little one, I ended up putting him in a large bin. Sadly I couldn’t afford to get UVB bulbs. Yes I know they’re extremely important but no matter how hard I begged my parents they kept putting it off. Eventually summer ended. That’s when things went bad again. I ended up having to put my large tortoise back in her tiny enclosure. I tried so hard to get her back in to a large enclosure but failed. So, it got even worse. As winter came I ran out of grass and weeds to feed them (I live in Utah). I tell my mom over and over to please get some mustard greens and other things for them. No matter what she always comes home with lettuce and cucumbers. Please don’t blame my parents for any of this. It’s completely my fault and even though I’m only 11, I have the ability to take full responsibility and need to start to. They do understand a lot and are willing to help out
But then there’s the biggest issue. I have around $20 in total. My parents owe me money for babysitting and stuff, which would be enough for what I need. Sadly at the moment we are struggling financially. My dad works as a real Estate agent so we don’t have a steady paycheck. Right now all we have the money for is to pay taxes, buy food, get gas, etc... We can’t get anything extra. I’m stuck with $20 and two tortoises in need of so much more than what they have. My dad will probably start making more in the early summer and I will probably be able to get more then. I might be able to alter the diet as long as it doesn’t cost much. What do I do? Maybe does anyone have any extra supplies I could have?... I don’t know, I’m at a complete loss. I’ve thought about I’ve considered giving them away to someone who knows what they’re doing. I just can’t bare the thought. I love my tortoises with all my heart! This entire time writing this I’ve been crying. I really do want to change what I’m doing as I know it is not ok. I guess if you guys really think I should maybe I should give them to someone else. I don’t know what to do. I’m now going to repeat myself because I really do love them with all my heart! Please help in any way. I need to be steered in the right direction. I’m willing to answer any questions you have. Thank you.

Jaid10

USA
I’m sorry if that was extremely unorganized.

Jaid10

USA
I feel absolutely horrible for everything I’ve done and am doing.

aqualungs

Perry, OH
Let me say first that your writing and punctuation is excellent and your story broke my head a little. First your on the right track, and at the right place. There is a lot of help and info on these forums. Not sure if you saw all the Sulcata care info under African Tortoise species. Here’s some excellent care sheets.

AFRICAN SPURRED TORTOISE (SULCATA) CARE SHEET
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/AFRICAN-SPURRED-TORTOISE-(SULCATA)-CARE-SHEET.52524/

Quick guide (print this)
IMG_2061.jpg

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong
Hi. I’m 11 years old and have two Sulcata tortoises. So... here’s my story on tortoise forum. I got my first tort when I was 6. As you may be able to guess I had no idea how to take care of her. So, for around six years she got horrible care. Now she is a 10 inch long, pyramiding Sulcata. I hate myself for this. I never new what to do, I should have looked it up. I should have tried harder!
Anyways, for my 11th birthday I ended up getting another baby tortoise. At this time I still didn’t how to properly take care of them. One day though, I had a question for my tortoise. I’m so thankful that I did because after that I stumbled across the forum! There, with the help of you guys, I learned so much about they’re care! I ended up putting my older Sulcata in a 10 by 10 foot enclosure outside! That summer she ate grass. For my little one, I ended up putting him in a large bin. Sadly I couldn’t afford to get UVB bulbs. Yes I know they’re extremely important but no matter how hard I begged my parents they kept putting it off. Eventually summer ended. That’s when things went bad again. I ended up having to put my large tortoise back in her tiny enclosure. I tried so hard to get her back in to a large enclosure but failed. So, it got even worse. As winter came I ran out of grass and weeds to feed them (I live in Utah). I tell my mom over and over to please get some mustard greens and other things for them. No matter what she always comes home with lettuce and cucumbers. Please don’t blame my parents for any of this. It’s completely my fault and even though I’m only 11, I have the ability to take full responsibility and need to start to. They do understand a lot and are willing to help out
But then there’s the biggest issue. I have around $20 in total. My parents owe me money for babysitting and stuff, which would be enough for what I need. Sadly at the moment we are struggling financially. My dad works as a real Estate agent so we don’t have a steady paycheck. Right now all we have the money for is to pay taxes, buy food, get gas, etc... We can’t get anything extra. I’m stuck with $20 and two tortoises in need of so much more than what they have. My dad will probably start making more in the early summer and I will probably be able to get more then. I might be able to alter the diet as long as it doesn’t cost much. What do I do? Maybe does anyone have any extra supplies I could have?... I don’t know, I’m at a complete loss. I’ve thought about I’ve considered giving them away to someone who knows what they’re doing. I just can’t bare the thought. I love my tortoises with all my heart! This entire time writing this I’ve been crying. I really do want to change what I’m doing as I know it is not ok. I guess if you guys really think I should maybe I should give them to someone else. I don’t know what to do. I’m now going to repeat myself because I really do love them with all my heart! Please help in any way. I need to be steered in the right direction. I’m willing to answer any questions you have. Thank you.
I'm so sorry to hear that. I know you've tried your best, don't blame yourself.

For the food problem, you can try to buy some seeds of the veggies, grass, flowers if you haven't already. You can grow them inside your house. This can save you a lot of money. Of course, you don't just start growing them when winter comes, you can grow them in some of the extra space outside. Try to grow excess amount of them if you can, so that you would have leftovers for your torts during winter. But be warned, you're gonna need quite a lot of "leftovers" as sulcata has huge appetite. This first few months, maybe even years could be difficult to catch up, but I'm sure you can do it if you have enough determination.

The real issue here though, it's managing the humidity which is the main factor for pyramiding. Now I don't know if where you from is humid or arid. If you can, try to water their shells with a bucket of water like every 6 to 8 hours, for the older one, use a tiny spoon instead. I've been doing this too my 4 month old sulcata until I get a larger enclosure for it, and it turns out pretty well. Pyramiding can't be reduced, but definitely can be stopped, it's better late than never!

The money consuming bit has to be maintaining the temperature, whether you use heater or the lights. There's nothing I can do to help with that other than saying good luck. I do apologise.

For the uvb, artificial ones aren't necessary, why not use the most natural way of obtaining uvb - the sun? All you have to do, is let your torts sunbathe half an hour per day, if you have more time, you can let them do so for even longer! Side note, during unfavourable weather conditions, like rainy days, winter, its no big deal that you don't bring them out for sunbathing for a few months. Side side note, there are calcium powder products that also contain vitamin D3 (that's what torts get from uvb), you can use those instead of you aren't too available.

If all those are overwhelming for you and your parents, your best choice would be to let someone else who's more experienced in keeping torts adopt them.

Again, don't blame yourself, and don't lose hope, believe in yourself, and be optimistic. I, and I believe, all of us on this platform will fully support you. GOOD LUCK TORTING.

aqualungs

Perry, OH
I wish you the best of luck and will follow an wait for others to help. I would be happy to send a care package of some things you might need. I have an extra basking lamp and maybe some other things you can use.
The fact your upset and crying means you care, and it means that this can turn it around, because you want it to. Take care kiddo!

Miscally

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Good luck. You care for your tortoises which is the first step. Would it help to get one adopted so you can focus your attention on just one tortoise? Costs would be lower too. Go with your mum to get the greens you need, don't leave it to her. Heat, humidity and food and water are the priorities. Sunlight whenever you can get outside too. I hope you can find solutions. Accept the care package. You're in the right place for support. Maybe someone is nearby to let you have some things to set up a good enclosure. I'm sorry I'm too far away in the UK. All the best.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tortoise Forum mobile app

Bee62

Germany
Hello. I am sorry to hear about your problems. That you are asking for help shows me that you really love your tortoises.
Can you get smooth hay in a high quality ? You can clip the hay with a scissors and put it on food of your tortoises. Can you buy mazuri tortoise food ? It helps that they will get all nutritions they need.
Maybe when you give your postal adress to one relieable member of the forum other members can send you some tortoise equipment you need.
Please show us some pictures of your torts and their enclosure. Don`t be afraid: No one will blame you for anything that might be wrong.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Jade I think you've done a great job since you've been on the forum. Don't beat yourself up. If your parents are ok with it, I'll order a bag of Mazuri and have it shipped to you. That should help fill in when you don't have the right stuff for them over the winter. Pm me if your interested.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm afraid I'm going to be the one that says what you don't want to hear.

If your folks aren't willing to get the correct types of food to feed the tortoises. . . if you are unable to build the correct indoor enclosures for them. . . if you don't have the money to buy the right supplies to care correctly for the tortoises, then it would be in the tortoises' best interest to find new homes for them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi @Jaid10

I was going to say what Yvonne said. Even though you have good intentions, if you are unable to give an animal what it needs to survive and be healthy, then you shouldn't have that animal. This goes for everyone.

When you are older and in a position to be financially responsible and able to give these animals proper care, feeding and housing, you can always get new ones then.

Jaid10

USA
I wish you the best of luck and will follow an wait for others to help. I would be happy to send a care package of some things you might need. I have an extra basking lamp and maybe some other things you can use.
The fact your upset and crying means you care, and it means that this can turn it around, because you want it to. Take care kiddo!
Thank you so much!

Jaid10

USA

If your folks aren't willing to get the correct types of food to feed the tortoises. . . if you are unable to build the correct indoor enclosures for them. . . if you don't have the money to buy the right supplies to care correctly for the tortoises, then it would be in the tortoises' best interest to find new homes for them.

Thank you. I think I’m going to try and get what I can to help them. If it doesn’t end up working then I’ll find them a good home.

Jaid10

USA
Jade I think you've done a great job since you've been on the forum. Don't beat yourself up. If your parents are ok with it, I'll order a bag of Mazuri and have it shipped to you. That should help fill in when you don't have the right stuff for them over the winter. Pm me if your interested.
Thank you so much for the offer! I was just wondering if anyone had anything extra laying around that they’re not using.

Jaid10

USA
Hello. I am sorry to hear about your problems. That you are asking for help shows me that you really love your tortoises.
Can you get smooth hay in a high quality ? You can clip the hay with a scissors and put it on food of your tortoises. Can you buy mazuri tortoise food ? It helps that they will get all nutritions they need.
Maybe when you give your postal adress to one relieable member of the forum other members can send you some tortoise equipment you need.
Please show us some pictures of your torts and their enclosure. Don`t be afraid: No one will blame you for anything that might be wrong.
I’ve tried Missouri but they don’t like it. However I’m going to continue to try with it. Sadly I only have a little bit. Would Timothy hay work? I have a rabbit and can give some of his to the tortoises.

aqualungs

Perry, OH
I’ve tried Missouri but they don’t like it. However I’m going to continue to try with it. Sadly I only have a little bit. Would Timothy hay work? I have a rabbit and can give some of his to the tortoises.

My baby Redfoot loves the Repcal “fruity pebble” they’re colored, so they’re stimulating. I would only use them as a supplement. I use the Zoo med grassland diet, also and need to get some mazzuri. I don’t feed these everyday! They are also fed with some type of green. Dandelion, ridiccio, turnip greens.. etc.
in the meantime you can start some fun cheap projects.. I’m doing the same. Get some cat grass seeds and plant them in a big clay saucer.. I’m going to also get a tortoise reccomended wild seed mix.. currently shopping for some :). IMG_2010.jpgIMG_2051.jpg
I also planted Petunias, snap dragon, nasturtium, pansies, Bare root hibiscus, opuntia cactus.
I’ve only been learning for a month and have had my baby for 3 weeks. Im still learning. This place is a haven of wealth. :)
Take some pics of the enclosures and your supplies for us, so we can gauge what you need. Please take some pics of your Torts too.

Jaid10

USA
Thanks everyone for everything! You guys are so kind and to be honest I didn’t really want to post this thread. But you guys have been so kind and helpful! I think I’m going to try to do what I can to help them. I am actually good at putting together little business to get some extra money. I think I’ll attempt this and try to buy what I can. For now I’ll give them ( if it’s ok) some Timothy hay and Mazuri. I’ll give them soaks as often as I can and maybe make a humidity hide. This won’t last very long but hopefully I can raise some money soon. If I try my hardest and it doesn’t work out then I’ll find them both great homes that will be able to take better care of them. I will also try and grow some grass and other things for them to eat. I really like Bee62’s idea of giving a reliable member of the forum my address and maybe having members with extra stuff laying around be able to give some to me for my torts. I will definitely speak to my parents for that. Also any cheap item links I could buy would be super helpful. Thank you so much! Let me send you guys pics and information on their current situation.

aqualungs

Perry, OH
IMG_2057.jpgheres our little buddy Winston. He gets dried staple diet a couple times a week with other fun stuff. This is a spring mix. I just don’t feed any spinach and take that out. That chart will help you find good foods. This will be part of the battle for keeping them healthy. Next is temps, humidity, and environment, especially for that baby. :)

Jaid10

USA
Also, if I did end up doing the mail thing I would even just need things like dandelions
My baby Redfoot loves the Repcal “fruity pebble” they’re colored, so they’re stimulating. I would only use them as a supplement. I use the Zoo med grassland diet, also and need to get some mazzuri. I don’t feed these everyday! They are also fed with some type of green. Dandelion, ridiccio, turnip greens.. etc.
in the meantime you can start some fun cheap projects.. I’m doing the same. Get some cat grass seeds and plant them in a big clay saucer.. I’m going to also get a tortoise reccomended wild seed mix.. currently shopping for some :). View attachment 266937View attachment 266938
I also planted Petunias, snap dragon, nasturtium, pansies, Bare root hibiscus, opuntia cactus.
I’ve only been learning for a month and have had my baby for 3 weeks. Im still learning. This place is a haven of wealth. :)
Take some pics of the enclosures and your supplies for us, so we can gauge what you need. Please take some pics of your Torts too.
ok! I’ll definitely go look for those! Can you tell me where you got some of your supplies and plant seeds? Also can they grow in the window ceil here? I’m in Utah and it is dry, cold, and doesn’t have much sunlight.

Jaid10

USA
View attachment 266941heres our little buddy Winston. He gets dried staple diet a couple times a week with other fun stuff. This is a spring mix. I just don’t feed any spinach and take that out. That chart will help you find good foods. This will be part of the battle for keeping them healthy. Next is temps, humidity, and environment, especially for that baby. :)
Ok thanks! I will try that! Your tort is adorable! It’s funny his name is Winston, that’s the name of my rabbit.