I don’t even know where to begin

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
idk, I have a feeling that if it was a real scam they'd disappear after getting the money. There's not much reason to reconnect after going MIA for a few days. Might just be someone having a hard time.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
I don’t know where to start, but the last month has been a legitimate nightmare. But here we go, when it comes to buying Tortoises. I will start by just making sure all the information adds up and then kind of just go with my gut. I’m usually right but this time I don’t know what happened. It all started when a gentleman reached out to me with 7 Cherry Heads that he needed to sell. I love Cherry Heads and they were priced fairly conservatively but not alarming Low. Therefore I decided to buy them so I sent him the money and it took a few weeks to get everything sorted and for him to ship. He was supposed to ship on a Monday after that Monday passed in a few days of not being able to get in contact with him, he informed me that he had lost his phone and that his wife had had a heart attack. I tried to be as sympathetic to this as I could and so I gave him another week to try to ship them out. Another Monday passes and I hear nothing from him again for a few days. Then I receive a text from his wife and I can’t even make up what she said in the message. Apparently his hybrid rattlesnake bit him and he was in the hospital and they wanted to amputate his arm. Once again I am sympathetic and ask the wife if she would be able to ship them out. I sent her a full guide on shipping them where to buy the label what FedEx to drop them off and everything that she would need to do. She tells me that she will ship them out on Monday. This is great news for me because it’s only two weeks in and she’s going to ship them, Monday again passes and she goes silent for a few days. She wasn’t able to ship that week obviously. I am finally able to get a hold of her over the weekend and apparently her husband will be back and will help her ship on Monday. My expectations are low but I still have hope. This Monday rolls around and I hear nothing. Finally on Tuesday he tells me that he’s going to ship today, I clarify with him that he’ll be shipping overnight and everything. He says yup and he send me a tracking number. Turns out he didn’t ship overnight just FedEx standard delivery. I’ve had plenty of tortoises get delayed over the years, luckily it’s only three days in the mail. So we’ll see what happens there’s not much I can do other than wait now. Anyone have a story like this or any advice
That's a wild one man. This is going to be great for you moving forward. Maybe send half the cash then the rest once they arrive. Not sure.

pacific chelonians

SanDiego California
idk, I have a feeling that if it was a real scam they'd disappear after getting the money. There's not much reason to reconnect after going MIA for a few days. Might just be someone having a hard time.
That’s my experience so I don’t see why the wife would text me luckily I have there real names and address so won’t have a hard time getting my money back if I have to

Donna Albu

5 Year Member
Peoria, Maricopa County, AZ
Can’t say that makes me want to get bit by a rattlesnake but here’s the photo of the bite right after it happened tell me what you think
Many different types of rattlesnakes, and reactions are not the same. Most of them cause rapid swelling at the bite, and puff up and inflame the area for several inches around it. If it was a mojave, they have a neuro toxin, there isn't much swelling, but the venom does a lot of damage to the organs it gets to. The organs stop working. If that happens to be the heart, the prognosis isn't good. They finally have an antivenom for the mojave, the only good news here. The bites that have made the news are reported from hospital beds, and people have been in said bed for about a week. Maybe all of the alcohol in your body helped with your bite? But I'm glad you had a pretty easy time of it.

Right now it's awfully hot for torts to be traveling in a box. Most of the mail delivery vehicles don't have air-conditioning. I'd be waiting until late September, early October, or going on a road trip.

pacific chelonians

SanDiego California
Update everyone I found the shipment details and they have now made it to Oklahoma according to the tracking what do y’all think about the weight and dimensions of the box in my opinion it seems almost alittle heavy for 7 juvenile cherry heads

Attachments

• 458CECEF-C7C4-4D60-A8AC-A589DF53DD02.jpeg
    458CECEF-C7C4-4D60-A8AC-A589DF53DD02.jpeg
    33.8 KB · Views: 5

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
How many days will they be in transit? It is way too hot everywhere for anything other than overnight right now.

pacific chelonians

SanDiego California
How many days will they be in transit? It is way too hot everywhere for anything other than overnight right now.
Did you read the original post really didn’t have much say in the matter the have been in transit 2.5 days so far sell another day and a half till they are here so like 4 days total

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
I read it when you first posted it but didn’t go back for the details. I assumed it was standard overnight instead of priority overnight and it would be there by 4pm instead of 10:30.

pacific chelonians

SanDiego California
The box has… lets hope your torts are in there & fine. Other than the scam alert, the heat is a major factor too. I don’t think many reptile shippers would ship anything but overnight during the Summer.
Agreed they have mad it to California they will be out for delivery tomorrow so we will see tomorrow either way