I don’t think I actually have a sulcata

Beebermd

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hi guys. So I got what I was told was a baby sulcata hatchling. I was excited. I had an outdoor set up with everything eagerly knowing it would soon be big enough to require out door housing. The problem is, that was 6 years ago! Lol. Im still waiting. Hes very healthy, happy and eats well. So I’m wondering if maybe I don’t have a sulcata after all. I’ve looked at all the identification stuff and he seems to have them all so I dunno. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

71E20E1B-83BA-4B89-8803-6DEE71335014.jpeg

86710107-5C13-4830-AD8B-83C9FA8920D3.jpeg66EA9782-A887-423D-977E-010543B35A36.jpeg2ED3B249-E535-42C7-8404-359C2007C091.jpeg10712BB5-7F11-4AAA-A69F-2A76B0A5E4E0.jpeg

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
Hi guys. So I got what I was told was a baby sulcata hatchling. I was excited. I had an outdoor set up with everything eagerly knowing it would soon be big enough to require out door housing. The problem is, that was 6 years ago! Lol. Im still waiting. Hes very healthy, happy and eats well. So I’m wondering if maybe I don’t have a sulcata after all. I’ve looked at all the identification stuff and he seems to have them all so I dunno. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

View attachment 343520

View attachment 343519View attachment 343518View attachment 343517View attachment 343516
You've got a sulcata all right I dont know if its a Hypo sulcata but its a sulctata. Just to clarify. You said its six years old?! It is way to small for a 6 year old tortoise! What have you been feeding it. And your tortoise is starting to pyramid. Humidity will help with that. @Lyn W I dont know how to post links so could you send her the link. "Best way to raise sulcata, leopard, and star tortoises"

Beebermd

Texas
You've got a sulcata all right I dont know if its a Hypo sulcata but its a sulctata. Just to clarify. You said its six years old?! It is way to small for a 6 year old tortoise! What have you been feeding it. And your tortoise is starting to pyramid. Humidity will help with that. @Lyn W I dont know how to post links so could you send her the link. "Best way to raise sulcata, leopard, and star tortoises"
Thanks for the response. Yup. 6 years old. That first pic was when I Brought him home on june 24, 2016. He would never touch hay or grass. So I’ve only fed him store greens with some wild snuck in so he wouldn’t notice. Maybe I’m not feeding enough. All the fresh greens he wouldn’t eat would go bad and smell and make a mess. Maybe I should leave something dry at all times so he can graze…..but just won’t eat dry greens. UV is good. He’s a great little tort. He been rocking it out on his tort table for the last six years. Lol. I was never planning on it being part of my home decor for so long. And thanks for the tip on the humidity. I’ve been thinking about changing substrates.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

If a tortoise isn't kept in conditions that mimic his home world's conditions, it stunts their growth. Please read our care sheet and make changes accordingly:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
This is the caresheet you need
If you follow that as closely as possible your baby should thrive, so read it through but ask as many questions as you like to clarify things.
If you post a picture of his housing and lamps etc you'll get good feedback to make sure its as safe as possible - there's a lot of old and incorrect information still being passed around on other forums, FB, pet shops etc, but all advice here is up to date.

Grace-Sophia

Texas
Little cutie you got there -
My three and a half year old Hermann's is bigger than that!!!:oops:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

View attachment 343520

View attachment 343519View attachment 343518View attachment 343517View attachment 343516
I agree that is is a sulcata. Most breeders start them all wrong, and then tell their buyers all the wrong care info. Most don't survive. Some survive, but they don't grow much. The info from vets, pet shops, and the internet is often worse.

You cannot maintain that correct conditions in an open table for this species. Too cold and much too dry. Your tortoise has managed to survive, but not thrive. Normal size for this age would be 40-60 pounds.

Read the care sheet that Lyn linked, set your tortoise up that way, and it may eventually start to grow normally after a few months. Questions are welcome.