i don't know how long tortoise live :)

gukaguka21

They can live for a hundred years and more with good care.

We've had our for 46 years and it wasn't a baby when we got it.

As for growing, that depends on food and environment. They all grow at different rates, so we can't answer your other question
thenk you :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No one knows how long they live. We have not been breeding them and keeping records for long enough yet. There are many documented cases of them living over 100 years, though, so that is not an unrealistic guess.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I would imagine it would take more than one generation of humans to accurately document how long one might live. Passing down pertinent info such as hatch date from generation to generation , since we don't live nearly as long ?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would imagine it would take more than one generation of humans to accurately document how long one might live. Passing down pertinent info such as hatch date from generation to generation , since we don't live nearly as long ?
Correct-o-mundo

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

For example, @gukaguka21 , Joes mum got her tortoise when he was a baby and she's had it for 46 years. When she passes him down to her kids and they pass him down to their kids, then we might have an accurate guess on how long they live.

I heard, but have no way of proving it because I can't find the article, that Darwin brought a young galapagos tortoise home from one of his trips to the islands and presented it to the queen. Queenie gave it to someone else, who gave it to someone else. When I read the article several years ago, the tortoise had just died. So let's assume the tortoise was a year old when Darwin picked it up. He was in the Galapagos Islands in the early 1800's, and the tortoise died appx. 2005. That would make that tortoise about 200 years old when it died.

Here's another Darwin story from Wikipedia:

Harriet (c. 1830 – June 23, 2006) was a Galápagos tortoise (Geochelone nigra porteri) who had an estimated age of 175 years at the time of her death in Australia. Harriet is the third oldest tortoise, behind Tu'i Malila, who died in 1965 at the age of 188, and Adwaita, who died in 2006 at the estimated age of 255.

She was reportedly collected by Charles Darwin during his 1835 visit to the Galápagos Islands as part of his round-the-world survey expedition, transported to England, and then brought to her final home, Australia, by a retiring captain of the Beagle. However, some doubt was cast on this story by the fact that Darwin had never visited the island that Harriet originally came from.