I don't know what happened... but my golden greek just passed away this morning...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hongmoko

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal
Dear tortoise lovers,

I don't what happened this morning, but when I got home from work, I found my 6 months old golden greek ... lifeless...

I am devastated... I don't know what happened... yesterday she seemed fine ! I soaked her and when I put her back to her tortoise table, she was very active, walking all over the place.

This morning, before going to work, I gave her some mixed lettuce and she (like all other days) started chomping on them...

When I got home... I found her laying in the middle lifeless. her limbs were stiff... and her eyes were open and kind of "inwards"...

Can anyone explain to me what happened ?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
golden greek just passed away this morning...

With sunken eyes, the first thing that comes to mind is dehydration. You did leave a source of water for her, right? What was your heating temps? Do you have other animals in the house (cat, dog)? If your little Greek was dehydrated, it may have been going on for a while. In any case, I'm sorry for your loss.

hongmoko

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Montreal
but my golden greek just passed away this morning...

I would doubt dehydration because it did have a water dish and I soaked her at least 30 min each day... temps would range from 25C to 30C.

No other animal in the house except another tortoise in a different tortoise table

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
RE: I don't know what happened.. but my golden greek just passed away this morning...

Rest in peace little :tort:

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
RE: I don't know what happened... .

I am so sorry this happened!!!!!!
Please hang in there! You are in our thoughts.
Hugs to you.

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
RE: I don't know what happened...

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's difficult not knowing what happened. :( You're in my thoughts.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I am so sorry for your loss. :(

I wonder if there was something in the food? Maybe it was treated with something that hurt her? Just a guess... but you may never find out.

RIP little :tort:

mikeh

5 Year Member
Re: RE: golden greek just passed away this morning...

sibi said:
With sunken eyes, the first thing that comes to mind is dehydration. You did leave a source of water for her, right? What was your heating temps? Do you have other animals in the house (cat, dog)? If your little Greek was dehydrated, it may have been going on for a while. In any case, I'm sorry for your loss.

Once dead, eyes always get sunken, whether tort was hydrated or not.

I am sorry to hear about your tort. I feel for you. If you provided proper husbandry and diet don't beat yourself over it and try again.

Go over your enclosure, your temps, the diet, make sure everything in your set up is right, nothing tortoise can ingest it shoudnt, unsure its IMPOSSIBLE for tortoise to flip under the heating source or in water bowl. If the tort flips under a heat source, struggles for a long time but finally manages to right its self and walk away, it may just be too late if it suffers a heat stroke.

If you decide on new tort, Disinfect the enclosure before putting him/her in.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So sorry to hear this. This is like the second one in a couple weeks that I remember. Everything seems fine, then found dead, so sad:(

Status
Not open for further replies.