I dont know what to feed my tortoise

ImNewToThis

Location (City and/or State)
Dubai
I have a Sulcata, bigger than my palm with bad pyramiding going on. I usually give him 2 meals a day, each consisting of either: 2 large pieces lettuce, 1 cucumber, a dozen rocket leaves, or some spinach leaves. However, he always seems to be wanting more.

P.S. About the pyramiding, city's in full lockdown so I cant visit a vet anytime soon and it took me months to fully convince the caretaker to take the poor boy to the vet.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Hello and Welcome!!!! There are care sheets specifically for Sulcatas pinned at the top if you’ll look through the headers... Sulcatas are grazing animals so you are right that he needs more food..he needs lots of grass and weeds, some cactus... Mazuri tortoise chow, hibiscus flowers and leaves.... there’s a food list with the care sheets as well. The lettuce and cucumbers aren’t good for him... How are you keeping him? If you’ll share lots of pictures and details, we would love to help you get him set up correctly.. The pyramiding that he has an not be undone but you can prevent new pyramiding... and as he grows, the old will become less noticeable...

ImNewToThis

Dubai
As shown below, his enclosure is pretty much this 8 x 2 meter balcony, the sun beats down on it in the morning so I give him sunbathing sessions during that time. He is lacking calcium and vit D3, which Im working to fix by buying some more spinach leaves, kale, okra, and collard greens. Im also trying to convince the caretaker to buy him a large enclosure with substance and UV light for better environment. Online enclosures cost near $200 and the citys on lockdown so I cant just visit a vet or petstore to help me with the supplies. I also read that you gave him Mazuri and bought it in 25 lb packs. How does that work? Do you just feed it to him whole? And how long does 25 lb last

Attachments

• IMAG0010.jpg
    IMAG0010.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 15
  • IMAG0012.jpg
    IMAG0012.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 19

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi. Read this one. All the care, feeding and housing is explained right in here.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
That’s not pyramiding, that’s some very bad metabolic bone disease. He will likely be deformed for the rest of his life.