I don't understand how people don't like tortoises?!

Bogie=babyDINO

Location (City and/or State)
Rancho Cucamonga, Ca
My boyfriend mom hates tortoises! I bring bogart with me when I visit for the weekend and I have to hide him from her. How do you hate an animal that doesn't do anything? I mean bogart is tennis ball size. I don't get it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I get why people don't want an animal and all the responsibility that goes with it, but I don't understand arbitrary dislike for a harmless, quiet, non-stinky animal that is contained in a box and bothers no one.

Let this be a sign of things to come, should you continue to progress with this BF. What do you think his mom will be like after you are married and have some kids?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
grab a tortoise ate a family member of hers? it could happen.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
the only animal I actually dislike is chihuahuas every single 1 I've ever met mean nasty little dogs all they want to do is bite people.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
the only animal I actually dislike is chihuahuas every single 1 I've ever met mean nasty little dogs all they want to do is bite people.

This is totally reasonable and understandable. I've trained a few nice ones, but yes, many of them are as you describe, so I can understand somebody not liking them.

Not liking a tortoise? That I do not understand.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Some people are just delicate.
My neighbour doesn't really dislike animals, but finds them somewhat disgusting. My torts were the only animals she would ever touch, until she saw them eat poo. Now she only wants to see photos of them. :rolleyes:

But... How can you hide a tennis ball sized tortoise? The enclosure would have to be quite big. :confused:

Most tortoises I know also want to bite people, their bites are just easier to avoid. :p

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
My boyfriend mom hates tortoises! I bring bogart with me when I visit for the weekend and I have to hide him from her. How do you hate an animal that doesn't do anything? I mean bogart is tennis ball size. I don't get it.
As was mentioned; some people just dislike animals, others don't like torts because they do nothing! A neighbour of mine once me outside with OLI and asked: 'Torts do nothing. You could have chosen another animal for a pet.' I shrugged my shoulders, without arguing with such people.;)

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA

I try really hard to just remember that, in a lot of cases, it's the fact that they're treated like babies and not allowed to be dogs that makes them so disagreeable. They're not taught how to behave in various situations, just scooped up and removed from them, but because they're small and portable, they're put in all kinds of situations and not given the guidance they need to cope with those situations.

I'm not a fan of chis, in particular. I have two larger, pit bull type dogs, and work with them on how to interact in at home and in public every day. But if I did have small dogs, I'd do the same, and hopefully have well behaved small dogs, too.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I try really hard to just remember that, in a lot of cases, it's the fact that they're treated like babies and not allowed to be dogs that makes them so disagreeable. They're not taught how to behave in various situations, just scooped up and removed from them, but because they're small and portable, they're put in all kinds of situations and not given the guidance they need to cope with those situations.

I'm not a fan of chis, in particular. I have two larger, pit bull type dogs, and work with them on how to interact in at home and in public every day. But if I did have small dogs, I'd do the same, and hopefully have well behaved small dogs, too.

I have done all the right socialization with several chihuahuas and they still frequently exhibit bad temperament. Proper training can help, but it will never completely overcome genetic predispositions.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
so chihuahuas are genetically disposed to being jerks? It all makes sense now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
so chihuahuas are genetically disposed to being jerks? It all makes sense now.

That is part of it yes, but the improper training and handling that Rutibegga described is definitely a factor too.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club

Like most moms, she may know more than you think.
Like your little tennis ball will one day grow into a bulldozing, pile-driving, desert-excavating, mobile boulder.
There is a long-standing phobia about snakes and reptiles throughout history probably due to fear of venomous bite.
But I was surprised by a female colleague once who referred to turtles as just "snakes in a shell."
I thought everyone liked turtles.
But I must admit I am not fond of softshells and snakenecks.

Bogie=babyDINO

Rancho Cucamonga, Ca
Yeah I think people just like to hate. She is a very blunt woman and he backs her up. She says she doesn't like tortoise and he says he doesn't like tortoises. I'm sorry but Bogarts not going anyway and if you wanna visit with me Bogarts gonna be around. People just like to hate. It's irritating.

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA
Yeah I think people just like to hate. She is a very blunt woman and he backs her up. She says she doesn't like tortoise and he says he doesn't like tortoises. I'm sorry but Bogarts not going anyway and if you wanna visit with me Bogarts gonna be around. People just like to hate. It's irritating.
Please know before I say this that I am in no way judging your relationship.

If a person I was with didn't support me in any way, including a commitment to an animal that I had made--especially to the point where I felt I had to hide something from them or their family, I most likely wouldn't be in that relationship for long. This isn't really about Bogart. This is a control issue that is manifesting itself around your tortoise, and Bogart is the one having to hide. It doesn't sound like a very happy situation for him in general.

If you are committed to this relationship, is there someone who could come in and check on him at home during these trips? It would probably be a lot less stressful on everyone involved :)

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA

If a person I was with didn't support me in any way, including a commitment to an animal that I had made--especially to the point where I felt I had to hide something from them or their family, I most likely wouldn't be in that relationship for long. This isn't really about Bogart. This is a control issue that is manifesting itself around your tortoise, and Bogart is the one having to hide. It doesn't sound like a very happy situation for him in general.

If you are committed to this relationship, is there someone who could come in and check on him at home during these trips? It would probably be a lot less stressful on everyone involved :)
the heart wants what the heart wants that's all I can say

Bogie=babyDINO

Rancho Cucamonga, Ca

I appreciate the advice. I am definitely picking up on things that seem unhealthy in my relationship. I guess that is the point in dating. But yes, it was the second time I brought Bogart with me and he really doesn't like the environment change. I thought he would because my bf has an organic garden and there are lots of yummy weeds to eat. He just hides though and doesn't eat anything so I've decided to stay home on the weekends and if my boyfriend wants to see me he can come to me for a change.

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA
I appreciate the advice. I am definitely picking up on things that seem unhealthy in my relationship. I guess that is the point in dating. But yes, it was the second time I brought Bogart with me and he really doesn't like the environment change. I thought he would because my bf has an organic garden and there are lots of yummy weeds to eat. He just hides though and doesn't eat anything so I've decided to stay home on the weekends and if my boyfriend wants to see me he can come to me for a change.

^5 ;)

My kinda thinking for sure :<3: