I Finally Own A South African Leopard Tortoise!

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV
I am a proud new owner of a South African leopard tortoise. Always wanted one and finally decided it was time. He was a present to myself for my birthday. This little tortoise is incredible and pictures do not do them justice. It might be hard to believe but from looking at the photos and then seeing them in person they are even more stunning. I received a healthy and active little baby from Tom who I can’t thank enough. He walks around and eats non stop. For being so tiny he is absolutely fearless. You can pick him up or rub his head ever so slightly and he has not once gone in his shell. He even took cactus from my hand while soaking. I received him Wednesday and it’s been a joy the last few days taking care and just watching him. If anyone has been thinking about getting this species of tortoise do not hesitate if you can provide and accommodate their needs. Here are some pictures of him.
View attachment 240684
View attachment 240685
View attachment 240686
Outstanding!

Tortoisefanatic88

5 Year Member
PA
...... and this is why I think it always good to sink the water and food tray into the substrate so mr torty can EASILY eat and drink. It’s much more natural for torts to sink down into their food/water.

Don’t worry I sunk it in even more not long after that picture. I thought it was good enough before but he’s just so tiny.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I am a proud new owner of a South African leopard tortoise. Always wanted one and finally decided it was time. He was a present to myself for my birthday. This little tortoise is incredible and pictures do not do them justice. It might be hard to believe but from looking at the photos and then seeing them in person they are even more stunning. I received a healthy and active little baby from Tom who I can’t thank enough. He walks around and eats non stop. For being so tiny he is absolutely fearless. You can pick him up or rub his head ever so slightly and he has not once gone in his shell. He even took cactus from my hand while soaking. I received him Wednesday and it’s been a joy the last few days taking care and just watching him. If anyone has been thinking about getting this species of tortoise do not hesitate if you can provide and accommodate their needs. Here are some pictures of him.
View attachment 240684
View attachment 240685
View attachment 240686

How adorable!!!! Congratulations!!!

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
View attachment 240684
View attachment 240685
View attachment 240686
Congratulations. He is a beautiful baby.

Tortoisefanatic88

5 Year Member
PA
Its been a while since I’ve been here. Just really busy with work but my SA leopard is doing just fine.
IMG_1552326146.397619.jpg
Here a photo from November 18th. 100 grams on the nose.
IMG_1552326211.366688.jpg
IMG_1552326232.527659.jpg
Here’s 2 more photos from late December

samkerns1

5 Year Member
Southwest Georgia

Tortoisefanatic88

5 Year Member
PA
Love the dark colors.
All Leos are lovely, but I am partial to the speckling on the adult pp's.
I agree. His skin color has also changed now. It's very light with black speckling. Big difference from the pictures now. I'll upload new pictures soon.