I found a small hole on Smiley's plastron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBiscuit

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa, U.S.
Hi All,

I was giving Smiley a look after her soak, and noticed a little hole or divot on her plastron. It is about the size of the tip of a ball point pen. I cleaned it with a q-tip, and it doesn't look deep or anything. I am just a bit concerned. I keep her enclosure very clean, and the only humid/moist spot is in her little plastic castle. The rest of her substrate is dry. Her cool side temp is about 74 and the basking spot is 95 F.

Here is a pic. The hole is in the scute in the center of the picture. I tried to center the hole as best as I could.

Thanks in advance.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
It was too blurry for me to see anything...but I did spot some nice healthy pink growth there...

Can you post a clearer pic? Or circle the area in the pic in photoshop, so we really know where to look?

BigBiscuit

5 Year Member
Iowa, U.S.
Meg90 said:
It was too blurry for me to see anything...but I did spot some nice healthy pink growth there...

Can you post a clearer pic? Or circle the area in the pic in photoshop, so we really know where to look?

I appreciate your help. First off, I have an iMac, so, I don't have photoshop (or aperture). Secondly, my digital camera sucks at taking close up pictures. Thirdly, I haven't set up a photobucket account, so I am limited to posting low quality pics.

With that said, I did some more examining of Smiley's shell. I think Danny had concluded that she was Wild Caught, so perhaps it is from the wild. The divot is worn around the edges, and is the same color as the shell around it (so it doesn't look red or fungal). So that's good. And yes, I have noticed her new growth. I guess I am really used to looking at her carapace, instead of plastron. At any rate, thanks again for the help. I think it just might be an old battle-scar.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Nigel has damage too...he came to me with it, here's a pic:

Nigelsshelldamageupdate006.jpg

Its on his third and fourth coastal scutes. It doesn't seem to bother him (no pain), and almost looks alittle better since he's been under the Trex bulb.

Have you measured her since you've noticed growth?

Got any more new pics? She's such a pretty girl :)

BigBiscuit

5 Year Member
Iowa, U.S.
Nigel is a cutie. After seeing his scar, I feel like a overzealous parent.

Smiley is down for the night, and since I have been hassling her a lot today, I will try to take some new pics tomorrow. Here is a pic of her eating.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Man, she is a beautiful Greek! Just gorgeous....what is her subspecies again, I can't remember...

I hope my Nouska grows up that pretty!

Yeah, Nigel is my little warrior! That mark is what really cemented the fact that he was wildcaught. It does make Smiley's mark look tiny, doesn't it? :p

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I think I see the little hole on the first pic. Hope you get it figured out soon! Don't worry yet.

BigBiscuit

5 Year Member
Iowa, U.S.
tortoisenerd said:
I think I see the little hole on the first pic. Hope you get it figured out soon! Don't worry yet.

Thanks for checking. The hole is on the scute in the center of the picture. The hole is at the edge of the dark coloring as is meets the light color on the scute.

BigBiscuit said:
tortoisenerd said:

Thanks for checking. The hole is on the scute in the center of the picture. The hole is at the edge of the dark coloring as is meets the light color on the scute.

Okay, is this any better. I screwed around with powerpoint, and came up with this.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Looks like nothing to worry about, some tortoises get these wholes just from normal wear and tear

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Awww Evan Smiley is SO cute :) Nigel is looking ever so lovely too. Our Greek tort family :p

Oh and I meant to also say, I'm sure Smiley is ok :) If shes eating alright, and she's active and getting all she needs, I don't think you need to worry! I do understand though, us tort parents to worry about anything new we find! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.