I found my boys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
I went to the store today to pick up a little fellow I had fallen in love with, and he just happened to be in a tank with a breeding sized male, which is what I've really been after. So I ended up coming home with both.

Supposedly they have been vet checked, etc... but I'm sure that Kingston, my little fellow, has something or other wrong with him. He's got something coming out his backside... I've been told it's likely urates but it doens't look anything like it - looks like my dog's eye boogers - it's a yellowy white balls of mucusy stuff. Any ideas? I have an appt. with the vet associated with the petstore tomorrow, but would rather not go if i don't HAVE to... if it IS urates. But I'm worried it's worms, or eggs from worms. Other than that, he really isn't in the best shape - the beginning of pyramiding, it looks like, and mites... I wasn't out to "rescue" him, I fell in love with his face and his personality... but when I told myself I shouldn't get him because he's not tip-top shape, I felt bad for him... I'm such a sucker sometimes! LOL!

Anyways, my son is naming the bigger fellow so he doesn't have a proper name yet. He happily ate up some greens today. I need to work out a bigger quarantine pen for them tho, as I had it set up for one but now there's two! (Kingston, the little boy, will eventually be moved in with my two little girls - the Hobbits in the Shire, as I call them - and the big boy will go with my big girls - the Trolls in Mordor! ROFL! Not only am I a sucker, but I'm a nerd as well!)

;~) Kelly

Here are two pics - they aren't the best, but I don't want to bother them yet for a really good pic!

Kingston... wait til I get a really good picture of his face, he has the FUNNIEST face that is SOOO different from all my other torts:
101_1775.jpg

And the as of yet unnamed big boy - it's hard to tell from the pic, but this guy has a freakishly large head!:
101_1781.jpg

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Congrats! Great to hear you found an adult male!

Iluvemturts

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Central WI
This does not sound like urates...I'd take him to a herp vet. There is a vet there in Madison that is UW vet school . A bit pricey but I've heard well worth it. Congrats on your new boys:cool: sorry to hear the one has issues. I hope its minor.
Let us know how he's doing:)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Congrats! Join the group, I think almost everybody in here is a sucker when it comes to the shelled ones.:D

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I bothered them for some pics today... I just couldn't resist...

Iluvatar... he's got a fairly normal tortoise face (IMHO), very cute and nice...
101_1803a.jpg

And then there's Kingston! Can you see why I loved him from first sight?!? He's got the most expressionate face!!! "What in the hell are you looking at?!?!!" It just cracks me right up!!!
101_1810a.jpg

101_1809a.jpg

Oh and I took them to the vet this morning and everything is a-okay, according to him. I still need to get a stool sample though! And Iluvatar just peed and his urates are peachy colored. Is that a problem?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
You are soooo right! What a great face! I ove it. :D

Something to keep an eye on, but not something to as of yet start sweating over. What he's been eating and how much hydration he has gotten will influence it. So be sure to give him some warm soaks and keep feeding him the good stuff.

Glad the vet check up went ok.:)

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
great photos! glad to hear he's healthy!

Status
Not open for further replies.