1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

I found this list of edible plants

Discussion in 'Tortoise Diet and Food' started by Chasen, Sep 13, 2018 at 7:35 AM.

1. Chasen

Chasen Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Galveston
  2. RosemaryDW

RosemaryDW Well-Known Member TFO Supporter

Newport Coast, CA
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Experience with feeding and plant lists can very quite a bit. If you're used to relying on the Tortoise Table, just know that it's extremely conservative. It's also based in the United Kingdom, which means it doesn't contain information on many plants we find here in the U.S. Many of our members rely fully on the Tortoise Table and absolutely will not feed anything listed on it as a "no-no." Some also rely on the lists of "safe" foods we provide on the forum, but those lists can be fairly short.

Other owners feed more broadly, including me. I decide on what to feed either through my own research or checking here for what longtime owners feed.

I know all the conflicting information is difficult to sort out, there's nothing wrong with staying conservative.

Can you give a couple of examples of plants on the list that concern you? It's quite long so I'm not going to check ever item on it but I did see some acceptable desert tortoise foods you might not find on the Tortoise Table.
  3. Will

Will Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

South of Southern California, but not Mexico
    Looks like a good list to me. The whole dealio is keep variety high.
    You can also use www.feedipedia.org and the USDA food content data base. Wikipedia is okay-ish.

The fairest critique of The Tortoise Table I have read makes good sense to me, they tend to evaluate each food item like it will be a large part if not the exclusive food for the tortoise. So as RosemaryDW suggests they are very conservative.
    RosemaryDW and Mizcreant like this.
  4. RosemaryDW

RosemaryDW Well-Known Member TFO Supporter

Newport Coast, CA
    I never thought about it that way before; thank you @Will!