I Hate It When. . .

Destben

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
I hate it when my kids Dad who was my husband for nearly 13 years gets stage 4 cancer and has decided he doesn’t want to eat. We’re neighbors and best friends (I know weird) and I’m also in charge of all his medical planning. He was diagnosed in February and had already lost a ton of weight but now has lost an additional 20lbs. I make lasagna from scratch and he eats ice cream with captain crunch on top instead.
I'm sorry your going through that. This might sound weird but can he get a medical marijuana card? It might help with his appetite and he can get different kinds of things with it that don't give him the high effect. Like CBD oil.

daniellenc

Maryland
I'm sorry your going through that. This might sound weird but can he get a medical marijuana card? It might help with his appetite and he can get different kinds of things with it that don't give him the high effect. Like CBD oil.
I can get him one too. I’m in healthcare for a living but he won’t smoke or eat pot (I’ve tried) and is on a clinical trial so even Motrin has to be disclosed. I’ve discussed CBD oil and he looks at me like I have horns. Marijuana for medical reasons is legal here and for recreational use under 12 grams is decriminalized as well.

Destben

Kansas
I can get him one too. I’m in healthcare for a living but he won’t smoke or eat pot (I’ve tried) and is on a clinical trial so even Motrin has to be disclosed. I’ve discussed CBD oil and he looks at me like I have horns. Marijuana for medical reasons is legal here and for recreational use under 12 grams is decriminalized as well.
CBD oil doesn't get you high. It relaxes you though. Its just like taking medicine but with less side effects and its more natural. Im Anti weed hard core but I can see the medical benefits. But I see your dilemma ultimately its his choice. But maybe he just needs to look at it like another medication instead of a drug.

Bee62

Germany
I hate it when a new thread on TFO started with the words :My tortoise is sick for 2 weeks and hasn`t eaten anything .... bubbles coming out of the nose....
And I hate it when a few posts later it is said: My tortoise died .....

daniellenc

Maryland
CBD oil doesn't get you high. It relaxes you though. Its just like taking medicine but with less side effects and its more natural. Im Anti weed hard core but I can see the medical benefits. But I see your dilemma ultimately its his choice. But maybe he just needs to look at it like another medication instead of a drug.
Yeah I’ve thought about just lacing his food but he hardly eats. Between a kidney removed, brain tumor removed, broken femur from cancer, bone treatments, radiation twice now, seizure meds, Sutent, immuno therapy, and pain meds I understand the lack of appetite. It’s just very hard on my kids watching him waste away.

daniellenc

Maryland
I hate it when a new thread on TFO started with the words :My tortoise is sick for 2 weeks and hasn`t eaten anything .... bubbles coming out of the nose....
I hated that too!

Destben

Kansas
Yeah I’ve thought about just lacing his food but he hardly eats. Between a kidney removed, brain tumor removed, broken femur from cancer, bone treatments, radiation twice now, seizure meds, Sutent, immuno therapy, and pain meds I understand the lack of appetite. It’s just very hard on my kids watching him waste away.
Maybe you need to remind him that its not just him hurting. I know that's harsh with all hes going through but he should at least try if not for you then for the kids. again i know its harsh and I don't mean to upset you. But its not going to be any worse then what hes on now and if it works he might have to take less of the other stuff.

Last edited:

Melis

Maryland
I hate it when my kids Dad who was my husband for nearly 13 years gets stage 4 cancer and has decided he doesn’t want to eat. We’re neighbors and best friends (I know weird) and I’m also in charge of all his medical planning. He was diagnosed in February and had already lost a ton of weight but now has lost an additional 20lbs. I make lasagna from scratch and he eats ice cream with captain crunch on top instead.
My mom had cancer and the treatments definitely impact your appetite. Some days it was hard to get her to eat anything and the days she did crave something, we were just glad she would eat at all.
He could also be having a hard time mentally. Is he receiving any type of counseling? When I’m sad all I want to do is eat ice cream too...
So sorry to hear your family is going through this.

Destben

Kansas
I had a lady an hour away from me and I offered to watch her very sick tort FOR FREE while she was gone and she refused and didn't have the proper equipment so she came back and he was dead. It was really sad because he was improving before she left.

Bee62

Germany
I had a lady an hour away from me and I offered to watch her very sick tort FOR FREE while she was gone and she refused and didn't have the proper equipment so she came back and he was dead. It was really sad because he was improving before she left.
That is sad.
I often think that people are thinking a tort is not worth taking it to a VET.
I can`t understand this thinking and I hate it.

daniellenc

Maryland
Maybe you need to remind him that its not just him hurting. I know that's harsh with all hes going through but he should at least try if not for for the kids. again i know its harsh and I don't mean to upset you. But its not going to be any worse then what hes on now and if it works he might have to take less of the other stuff.
I just screamed it’s not all about you last night lol. I do remind him but stage 4 renal cell carcinoma is no joke. It’s spread to his brain, lungs, and bones. I actually told him the day he was diagnosed he didn’t have to fight we’d be ok. He’s doing all these treatments to get as much time as possible. Some days he regrets it and others he’s good. I get frustrated but am thankful my kids are getting more time. He’s my best friend so I’m kind of glad he chose to fight too. We sucked at being married but we rock at being coparents and neighbors. If all he wants is ice cream and captain crunch I’m happy to supply it. I’m just mad all this is happening to our family but I know we’ll be ok.

Destben

Kansas
I just screamed it’s not all about you last night lol. I do remind him but stage 4 renal cell carcinoma is no joke. It’s spread to his brain, lungs, and bones. I actually told him the day he was diagnosed he didn’t have to fight we’d be ok. He’s doing all these treatments to get as much time as possible. Some days he regrets it and others he’s good. I get frustrated but am thankful my kids are getting more time. He’s my best friend so I’m kind of glad he chose to fight too. We sucked at being married but we rock at being coparents and neighbors. If all he wants is ice cream and captain crunch I’m happy to supply it. I’m just mad all this is happening to our family but I know we’ll be ok.
you are a very strong person. I am truly sorry you are going through this.

Destben

Kansas
That is sad.
I often think that people are thinking a tort is not worth taking it to a VET.
I can`t understand this thinking and I hate it.
I wish I had offered to buy the little guy. I have no Idea what i would have done with a sulcata but I would have made it work.

Bee62

Germany
a hatchling. He had signs of hatchling failure syndrome but started gaining weight towards the end. I think his care was just really poor.
With a hatchling you have 2 years before they get too big for living in the house. It would have worked but it was not your fault that the little tort died. Like my mother often said to me: You cannot safe all sick pets....
It is hard but true.:(:(:(

Destben

Kansas
With a hatchling you have 2 years before they get too big for living in the house. It would have worked but it was not your fault that the little tort died. Like my mother often said to me: You cannot safe all sick pets....
It is hard but true.:(:(:(
especially when the owner is unwilling to do what is right for the tort.

Bee62

Germany
especially when the owner is unwilling to do what is right for the tort.
Yeah, and here we are at the point again that I think that people sometimes think a tortoise is not worth to take it to a VET or take good care for it.
Why do these people buy a tortoise ? Reptiles suffer and die slowly. It is a shame and it hurts me to read all these threads when torts die because their owners are not really interested in the needs of the animal.

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
IHIW....
...people don’t realize a tortoise is a life long pet that needs a permanent home.
...people don’t realize how big a sulcata gets.
...people don’t realize a tortoise grazes every day.
...people don’t realize an indoor tort needs specific light, temp, space and humidity. They’re not cave tortoises.
...people don’t realize how hard a tile or hardwood floor is on a tortoises leg bones.
...people don’t realize a tort who escaped his home actually has it on his back.
...people think a tortoise would make a good pet for little kids.
...people “save” a perfectly healthy native tortoise. Save only those that need saving.
...people turn their pets into an invasive species.