I have a question about my sulcatas skin

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoebuggg

5 Year Member
My sulcata Sheldon is about 6 months old, and I recently noticed that on his back legs his skin looks darker but in certain spots it looks like it is peeling and looks white. I tried searching online what it might be and I didn't find anything useful. I just noticed it today, because he spends most of his time in his hit sleeping. If I can't figure it out by tomorrow I plan on contacting a vet. Any advice?
Thanks,
Zoey

image-2764810839.png

Here is a picture of his front legs, they are normal.

image-811226770.png

Here I tried to take a picture of his back legs, you can see the back left leg sticking out, where it looks dark with the white line through it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It does look like the coloration is peeling. Is everything else normal? Is it red or oozing and fluid? Could he have scraped it on something? Maybe some one will have an answer for you. These questions might help them.

zoebuggg

5 Year Member
Everything else seems normal, he's eating, droppings look normal, and regular, his shell is normal and front legs and face, just his back area seems to look like this. And I thought at first maybe he was dirty, and I soaked him for about 20 minutes but that wasn't the case either.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Zoey:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

That doesn't look normal to me, however, I have no idea what is wrong. It might be that the skin was scalded by his urine. How often do you place him in water to soak?

May we know appx. where in the world you are?

Mordy

5 Year Member
Miami, Fl
zoebuggg said:
My sulcata Sheldon is about 6 months old, and I recently noticed that on his back legs his skin looks darker but in certain spots it looks like it is peeling and looks white. I tried searching online what it might be and I didn't find anything useful. I just noticed it today, because he spends most of his time in his hit sleeping. If I can't figure it out by tomorrow I plan on contacting a vet. Any advice?
Thanks,
Zoey

Here is a picture of his front legs, they are normal.

Here I tried to take a picture of his back legs, you can see the back left leg sticking out, where it looks dark with the white line through it.

Are you sure its not dried out poop? Mine has something similar to that in one leg when he pooped and started in the same spot.I've been soaking him and it is still there.not sure if its the same thing though,i can't see too clearly.

zoebuggg

5 Year Member
I'm in Arizona. I soak him once a week. And when he does go to the bathroom he poops in his hut that he sleeps in, so I have to clean it out, could that have anything to do with it?

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
do you use coco coir? i think it looks like his legs are stained for wet coir. he may just be shedding a little skin, as long as its not raw or look iritated id say its fine . Id keep an eye on it just to make sure but i think its all okay from what i can see in the picture.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
It looks like he's just dirty, the pale places are just where skin was shed. Sulcatas are very pale tortoises if you can ever see their natural color lol, they have a knack for getting dirty.

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
The environment looks a little dry. Provide a water bowl in his enclosure and try to soak once a day. I do believe that his feet are dirty because normal skin should be a pale tan color. Try scrubbing it with a soft toothbrush.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Welcome to the forum!! And you need to change the substrate of your enclosure. The hay needs to go asap and I cant exactly tell what the other stuff is (looks kinda like orchid bark and if it is then thats perfectly fine). Your sulcata needs to be provided something around 70-80% humidity and the hay will mold fast. I cant tell from the pics what is wrong with his leg. Can you get more pics of his leg?

Status
Not open for further replies.