I have a third tortoise to exhibit egg laying behavior! :-) :-)

Stoneman

Location (City and/or State)
Pacific Northwest, United States
I am so excited to announce that my 2nd of the three powerpuff girls has exhibited egg laying behavior. This will be my third female tortoise ever two have done this under my care. My first laid a last year. Then her second last month. My second tort laid a single egg shortly after. I went outside to pick them up in the dark to bring them in for the night, and I noticed she was acting differently, and sure enough. exhibiting nest building behavior! yaaay!

Of all the spots she could have chosen in the huge outdoor enclosure, and she decides to excavate right about the concrete foundation of a post. I let her be for a couple hours until just now when I put get inside for her health risk. Hopefully she lays overnight or picks a better spot for tomorrow. :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190803-220445_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190803-220445_Gallery.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12

Stoneman

I just read over that and I see what you mean, it's not very clear.

I let her be for a couple of hours after discovering she was attempting to lay. I then put her inside after realizing she was not making any progress, due to the health risks of leaving her outside overnight.

Stoneman

Put them back outside today, and she HAD to pick the EXACT same spot to try to next. In all of their expansive enclosure, she thinks that pipe's 6" of concrete foundation is the only spot worth laying. This is ridiculous.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190804-170004_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20190804-170004_Video Player.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13