I have a two year old leopard tortoise named Jumoke. (penis prolapse)

Obbie

Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
I am wondering if that is only a penile prolapse ? There seems to be a lot of tissue and swelling. I hope you get help soon

Jumoke's Mom

Clarksville, TN
Sure hoping all goes well. Keep us posted.

I am wondering if that is only a penile prolapse ? There seems to be a lot of tissue and swelling. I hope you get help soon.
The vet says that it looks like more than just his penis is prolapsed. She says it looks like some of his tissue is damaged and is afraid that if she puts everything in side he might become septic. She is going to call in a few hours.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Using a pad is a great idea. Just wondering though, the sugar paste won't stay wet with a dry pad. In fact the pads are made to draw moisture away from the surface. So how often should the paste be changed so the prolapse never dries out?
The panty liners are pretty thin and don't hold much liquid. They work fine for this purpose.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The vet says that it looks like more than just his penis is prolapsed. She says it looks like some of his tissue is damaged and is afraid that if she puts everything in side he might become septic. She is going to call in a few hours.
Oh my. Here's hoping it works out ok. But keep in mind, even if the vet is able to safely get everything back inside, you still have to address why the tortoise was straining and pushing so hard to have all that come out in the first place. . . parasites, constipation, rocks, kidney/bladder stones, etc. And you'll have to fix that problem or it will keep happening.

Jumoke's Mom

Clarksville, TN
Oh my. Here's hoping it works out ok. But keep in mind, even if the vet is able to safely get everything back inside, you still have to address why the tortoise was straining and pushing so hard to have all that come out in the first place. . . parasites, constipation, rocks, kidney/bladder stones, etc. And you'll have to fix that problem or it will keep happening.
The vet said it was due to bladder stones. She actually said she was not able to remove the stones and her fear was that even if she put everything back how it should be he would become septic due to the damaged skin and the intestinal prolapse. She said that he would also prolapse again with him trying to pass the stones and she didn't want him to continue to suffer. He hasn't eaten anything since Friday. We had to make a very difficult decision.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
The vet said it was due to bladder stones. She actually said she was not able to remove the stones and her fear was that even if she put everything back how it should be he would become septic due to the damaged skin and the intestinal prolapse. She said that he would also prolapse again with him trying to pass the stones and she didn't want him to continue to suffer. He hasn't eaten anything since Friday. We had to make a very difficult decision.
I am so very sorry for this tragic turn of events. Please know that I am holding you close to my heart.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh. . . that's just so sad. Please know that this was a good decision. He's no longer suffering. I'm so sorry this happened, but thank you so much for sharing this with us. We all learn from others' experiences.

Last edited:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I'm so sorry you lost your little one. It is an exceptional love that a person developes for a tortoise...hugs and prayers for you and your family ?