I have an enclosure made of pine wood- is it safe?

stumpytortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Dallas Texas
From what I've read when people say pine is toxic, they mean for bedding because it still emits the oils that are bad for torts. But what about just the structure being made of pine? My current plan is to stain the wood, then cover with multiple coats of polyurethane over the next few days to make sure each layer fully dries. Would this make it tortoise safe? I got the wood from home depot, it's just the regular 2x4s and other similar sizes they have on the shelves right as you walk in.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
From what I've read when people say pine is toxic, they mean for bedding because it still emits the oils that are bad for torts. But what about just the structure being made of pine? My current plan is to stain the wood, then cover with multiple coats of polyurethane over the next few days to make sure each layer fully dries. Would this make it tortoise safe? I got the wood from home depot, it's just the regular 2x4s and other similar sizes they have on the shelves right as you walk in.
The wood is not toxic as it is kiln dried.

I'm not sure that the stain and polyurethane won't emit toxic fumes. Is this a closed chamber or an open table. The stain won't hold up in a closed chamber and the wood will rot relatively quickly.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
We need to know what species of tortoise it is, age and size, and is the enclosure to be inside or outdoors?

stumpytortoise

Dallas Texas
The wood is not toxic as it is kiln dried.

I'm not sure that the stain and polyurethane won't emit toxic fumes. Is this a closed chamber or an open table. The stain won't hold up in a closed chamber and the wood will rot relatively quickly.
It's an outdoor sort of box with lots of chicken wire so it's pretty open

Reactions: Tom