i have cactus i wanna put in my enclosure

EllisEditz

Location (City and/or State)
Manchester
so i bought 3 tiny cactuses and want to put them somewhere in my enclosure where the tortoise cant get too, im wondering what soil do i need to replace it with.? As ive heard they could have all sorts on them

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
if you are putting them out of reach and don't plan on feeding then you don't have to replace soil

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
so i bought 3 tiny cactuses and want to put them somewhere in my enclosure where the tortoise cant get too, im wondering what soil do i need to replace it with.? As ive heard they could have all sorts on them
My thought is that you could bare root them (remove all soil from the roots) and repot them with new soil. This way, if you decide to include them where a tortoise can reach them in the future, then everything is safe. Organic soils would be okay. Of course 12 months would need to pass for them to be tortoise safe.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. I was wondering if you can upload a few pix of both your enclosure & cactus, and tell us more about your tortoise. In general, those tiny “store-bought” cute cactus aren't the best choice of plant for an indoor enclosure, most of those (i know I’m generalizing here) are full of small nasty spines/glochids that can easily harm a tort’s eyes or irritate it’s skin. Other than the aesthetics (for the owner) they don’t contribute much. Get trampled or dug up and take up valuable space. If you want to add plants in general, id suggest nice leafy plants like Pothos or Spider plants. These offer hiding spots, are tort friendly & & edible/safe as well.

Anyhow, before i make too many assumptions, tell us more about the plants, enclosure & tortoise.

Good luck & happy torting.

EllisEditz

Manchester
My thought is that you could bare root them (remove all soil from the roots) and repot them with new soil. This way, if you decide to include them where a tortoise can reach them in the future, then everything is safe. Organic soils would be okay. Of course 12 months would need to pass for them to be tortoise safe.
Thankyou so much!

EllisEditz

Manchester
Greetings. I was wondering if you can upload a few pix of both your enclosure & cactus, and tell us more about your tortoise. In general, those tiny “store-bought” cute cactus aren't the best choice of plant for an indoor enclosure, most of those (i know I’m generalizing here) are full of small nasty spines/glochids that can easily harm a tort’s eyes or irritate it’s skin. Other than the aesthetics (for the owner) they don’t contribute much. Get trampled or dug up and take up valuable space. If you want to add plants in general, id suggest nice leafy plants like Pothos or Spider plants. These offer hiding spots, are tort friendly & & edible/safe as well.

Anyhow, before i make too many assumptions, tell us more about the plants, enclosure & tortoise.

I will show pictures when home ?

EllisEditz

Manchester

So Here Are the pics youve been waiting for... I do know in one of the photos it says the humidity is 45 and the other being 38 that is not the humidity, both gauges were under basking light for testing reasons.. my humidity stays around 73, as you can see as i took a moment to take the next photo the humidity had already hit 70 percent :)

Attachments

• 90.jpg
    90.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 10
  • 34.jpg
    34.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    546.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 56.jpg
    56.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • 78.jpg
    78.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 9

EllisEditz

Manchester
So Here Are the pics youve been waiting for... I do know in one of the photos it says the humidity is 45 and the other being 38 that is not the humidity, both gauges were under basking light for testing reasons.. my humidity stays around 73, as you can see as i took a moment to take the next photo the humidity had already hit 70 percent :)
the white plastic on bottom of vivarium is to stop wood rot as im having to mist the enclosure down frequently untill my fogging system arrives :)