I Have Eggs! And an add'l discovery!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
So, one of my 3 toeds started digging this evening. Kept checking on her and when she was done filling in her hole I started digging them up. Well to my dismay I started to uncover maggots! I thought "How could they possibly have gotten to my eggs that fast?" Then I noticed eggs that were broken open and quite stinky and realized that it must have been an old nest. I kept digging and found the eggs that she laid tonight. There were three nice eggs! When I kept digging, I found 3 more eggs that were obviously older and still intact. I think one may have a small hole so it may not be any good, but the other 2 look ok. I don't know if they are fertile or not or how long they have been there. They could have only been there this spring/summer as the enclosure is new but I have no clue. So, they are all in the incubator at about 82-84 degrees and we will have to just wait and see what happens!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
LOL gratz, best luck on the eggs

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Sneaky aren't they :p Hopefully they are all fertile. :D

Danny

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Thanks everyone! It amazed me that there were 3 nests in almost the exact same place. What should I be looking for with the older eggs? I tried holding a flashlight to them last night, but not really sure what I am looking for.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Dee, congratulations on the eggs. When candled you should see veins or darkened areas. I didn't know they would lay nest on top of nest on top of nest. Learn something new every day on here :D Danny has some good pics of eggs I'm sure he will post where they can be found. Good luck on them being fertile my fingers are crossed for you. Finally Eggs. :)

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
That one spot seems to be the best spot in the pen. :) As all the females are using it. They never know where another female has nested, though usually they won't nest in the same spot twice in the same year. I would think all 3 of your females laid. :D
Not sure I have box turtle egg pictures, but I can look or take some. :D
Though like Robyn said, you can look for veins or a dark spot in the egg. Make sure you candle the eggs in the dark, as it's much easier to see in if it's dark.

Danny

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Thanks for the info and well wishes!

Status
Not open for further replies.