I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THIS IS! PLEASE HELP!

Location (City and/or State)
Northern California
So my yearling Greek stopped eating and began sleeping all day which I took to mean that he was trying to hibernate, so I weaned him off food and have been making sure he is hydrated, but when I soaked him today I saw this:
View attachment 225353
No Idea what to do scared to death please help!

Northern California
I should follow up now that the initial panic has subsided:
He seems to have been having trouble pooping
He occasionally won't put pressure on one leg when walking
Seems to be constantly dehydrated even when I soak him, won't drink on his own
Eyes swollen, clacking noises

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
i don't know what to tell you, but hopefully someone more knowledgable will be along soon. :(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would not let him hibernate for one. Soak him for an hour daily or twice a day in a large container like your tub so he has room to move around. The movement will help get things moving. Feed him some watery foods like cucumbers, water melon and lettuces along with his regular diet.
If his water dish is not a low sided clay saucer buried so it's rim is level with the substrate then change the water dish so it is. Get the humidity to 50% or at least a humid hide.

Northern California
Thank you, I will definitely do that. The vet responded, but despite being a wonderful veterinarian, he tends to be better with animals than with humans and only responded with the cryptic line 'Not an emergency but in the next day, 2 days.' I assume (hope!) he knows what is wrong.

Bambam1989

East Texas
So my yearling Greek stopped eating and began sleeping all day which I took to mean that he was trying to hibernate, so I weaned him off food and have been making sure he is hydrated, but when I soaked him today I saw this:
View attachment 225353
I'm afraid the picture won't load for me. I hope others are able

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I should follow up now that the initial panic has subsided:
He seems to have been having trouble pooping
He occasionally won't put pressure on one leg when walking
Seems to be constantly dehydrated even when I soak him, won't drink on his own
Eyes swollen, clacking noises

Do NOT hibernate this tortoise.

What do you normally feed?
What are your four temps?
What heating and lighting equipment are you using to maintain these temps and light?
UV bulb? What type?

Go in to your user profile and type in your location so we don't have to ask or guess.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Darn it anyway, Alex. The picture starts to roll down but stops halfway and I can't see what had you so worried. I'll sure be glad when Josh gets the picture portion of our Forum fixed. It's a real pain.

I agree with Tom to not allow this tortoise to hibernate. Sounds like he may be suffering with a respiratory infection. Is there a good tortoise vet in your town? I think it's time he saw a vet.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I saw the picture before it went a way, I believe what had him worried was that the eye was red, like blood red

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
View attachment 225353

Here is a repost of the pix

image.png

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yea! The first picture opened for me this time. That's the nictitating membrane (third eyelid). In dogs, when that happens, it's called Cherry Eye. It happens in tortoises when something stressful happens. You can dab on a bit of eye medication and it will eventually subside. I use this one:

eye ointment b.jpg

If you can't find it at your pet store, you can order it online.

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
I am not a veterinarian. I am a human physician. This finding in a human would be concerning for tumor such as retinoblastoma. I can’t find any articles of reptile retino, but I think the vet visit will be necessary. I’m sorry and do not mean to alarm you. Just want to stress the importance of an ocular exam.

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
Geez. Sorry—I didn’t see Yvonne’s post above. Thats great if its something benign! Sorry to alarm you. Does look a bit striking though.

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
How’s your tort now? Could you keep us updated? I hope all is going great. This is a nice educational thread too. Thank you for sharing/teaching.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
View attachment 225353
I am not allowed to view the attachment, for some unknown reason!?

Northern California
How’s your tort now? Could you keep us updated? I hope all is going great. This is a nice educational thread too. Thank you for sharing/teaching.
Yes, of course (don't have to ask me twice to talk about my pets :D). I took him to the vet and it is not anything worrying. It was caused by the unseasonably low humidity paired with the drying effect of my air conditioning system. He was given eye drops and a mild, long acting antibiotic to prevent it from getting worse. The only thing that still worries me a little is the motions he keeps making, swelling eyes and pulling head in shell like trying to go to the bathroom, but I will be giving regular updates to the vet and plenty of TLC to Leo.