I Have Questions About My Tortoises

Tortface

Location (City and/or State)
Milwaukee
New to the forum, i hav 2 russian torts. CJ gets in a little funk every few mos. where he wont eat, wont lay under the heat lamp..acts like he doesnt feel good. Then all of a sudden he will get perky again, move around alot, eats n seems happy. Could it be he is old n just gets in a mood?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
New to the forum, i hav 2 russian torts. CJ gets in a little funk every few mos. where he wont eat, wont lay under the heat lamp..acts like he doesnt feel good. Then all of a sudden he will get perky again, move around alot, eats n seems happy. Could it be he is old n just gets in a mood?
Is your temperature consistent? From what I've learned Torts slow down and can act like that when they are two cold. Is it happening over thewinter by chance?

daniellenc

Maryland
Hey there and welcome. You’ll get more replies if you start your on thread and post pics of his setup with info on temps and diet.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

Do you know how to make your own thread? You would get more answers there.

What is the basking temperature? What’s the cool side temperature? Night temperature?

Could we have a picture of your tortoises and enclosure?

Are they housed together? If so, hey need to be separated immediately, and be given a minimum enclosure size of 8x4 feet each. Tortoises, especially Russians, cannot live in pairs because they are solitary animals and cannot make friends.

Tortface

Milwaukee
Yes, its consistent(heat, light etc) i have the two in a separate enclosure bcuz CJ started fighting w FIN...but they have been separated about a year now..chkd temp under heat lamp about 90...but he moves away after a few minutes..he gets a soak every other day that he likes, also outside every other day..even then he walks around a bit, then goes into his hut

Tortface

Milwaukee
Yes, its consistent(heat, light etc) i have the two in a separate enclosure bcuz CJ started fighting w FIN...but they have been separated about a year now..chkd temp under heat lamp about 90...but he moves away after a few minutes..he gets a soak every other day that he likes, also outside every other day..even then he walks around a bit, then goes into his hut

Tortface

Milwaukee
I am so bad at this, will need my grandson to come show me how to navigate...sure its simple..but no, i dont know how to ‘thread’ lol...i love all the questions n great info given..once i get this down will be adding pics of my two...FIN SEEMS super content n outgoing...but CJ is always quieter n likes to be hand fed n talked to.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Russian tortoises do much better outside. If that's not possible, then the largest container you can get would probably help.

Tortface

Milwaukee
His beak seems a little long..had it trimmed once before...will hav the vet check it....wish i could find a GOOD vet...hav taken them both when i first got them, but dont feel either vet really knew much about torts..go mainly on what i get from the firum

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
I have to wholeheartedly Agree with Yvonne, since my Russian has been spending time outside, it is a different tortoise! So so much more active, eating a TON more than when in the vivarium. It is really thriving being outside for a few hours each day.