I have questions about substrate and humidity

melissah

Hi my names Melissa, I have a 1yr old sulcata, Armstrong, recently I found out I've been using the wrong bedding substrate, rabbit pellets. I've read some old posts and got some ideas of what to try. But I'm also wondering about humidity, what's enough.... Armstrong stays inside he has a 25X25 terrarium with both a heat lamp and a uv lamp. Also I wonder about his diet, currently he eats a mixture of kale, collard greens, spinach and romaine lettuce. He tripled in size over the last year, he is active and handsome as can be, I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right for him cause I want him to be around for a very long time! I'm open to any and all advice :)

Attachments

• 20160706_131924.jpg
    20160706_131924.jpg
    825.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 20161010_121343.jpg
    20161010_121343.jpg
    606.4 KB · Views: 25

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Hi Melissa. Your baby looks so cute. I do see some pyramiding probably as a result of not having him raised in a humid environment during his first year. Here's what I would do. Change some of what you're feeding him. The white stuff in his urine is called urates. If its gritty, your tort needs more warm soaks for longer periods, and you need to stop feeding him spinach and other greens like collards. It produces a high concentration of urates which can cause stones in the bladder. So, read the care sheets for raising sulcatas. Tom, a member here, has a lot of experience with sulcatas, and he has several threads that can help you provide the best for your baby.

To answer your questions, you need to get a heat gun and humidity gauge. Humidity levels should be about 80%. Make sure it's not too hot in the enclosure. The temp gun would give you a good idea what the different temps ate in different locations within the enclosure. Also, try introducing endive, escarole, and alfalfa sprouts to his diet. You may even want to cut some soft, fresh grass and add that. These animals graze on grass and weeds, and it should make up 70% of their diet. So, try that cause that diet would be better for him.

Last edited:

melissah

Thank you so so much!!! I will read all I can find from Tom. What would you suggest for food?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. I like coconut coir for a substrate, it holds humidity really well and won't mold. The is 25 feet square right? Not 25 inches square! If it's the inches, it is way too small and needs to be housed in at least a 3 or 4 feet by 6 feet and then bigger in a year or less.
Follow Toms caresheets in the sulcata section and things will turn around for the good for your sully.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hello and Welcome. I like coconut coir for a substrate, it holds humidity really well and won't mold. The is 25 feet square right? Not 25 inches square! If it's the inches, it is way too small and needs to be housed in at least a 3 or 4 feet by 6 feet and then bigger in a year or less.
Follow Toms caresheets in the sulcata section and things will turn around for the good for your sully.
Omg, I didn't catch that. It can't be a 25 foot by 25 foot terrarium! They don't make it that big. It must be 25" x 25" and like you said that's way, way too small. Melissa, you've got to get a bigger enclosure for him asap.

melissah

Hi Wellington, sadly my Armstrongs space is too small. I've recently posted an ad to find someone to possibly help me in making a larger home for him. Fingers crossed it's not too expensive. Days I'm off and home I like to let him roam the house freely or on warmer days we go outside :)

melissah

I know it putting my own feeling on him but I'm convinced he likes that his current home has glass walls so he can see what's going on around him so I don't want to go to plywood. But if all else fails I will. Should I be worried about a top to his enclosure? I still have young kids at home, one a very curious 5yr old boy....

melissah

Let me ask, what about fruits?? I've heard definitely not, then also yes. Friends of mine toss whole apples to their full grown sulcata and he goes crazy for them.....

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Let me ask, what about fruits?? I've heard definitely not, then also yes. Friends of mine toss whole apples to their full grown sulcata and he goes crazy for them.....
Sulcatas are eating machines. They'll eat almost anything you feed them and they really like fruit, but that doesn't mean it's good for them. I wouldn't feed fruits except an occasional strawberry from time to time. They love cactus and it's fruit. When in season, cactus produce a reddish fruit called by some, dragon fruit. I feed it to my sullies when cactus produces it, usually around Sept/Oct. They can eat pumpkin and occasionally watermelon on real hot days.
You can go online and search "reptiles" for foods, plants, and other items. I use "Silkworm" to purchase spineless cactus and Mazuri for tortoises.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Sulcatas are eating machines. They'll eat almost anything you feed them and they really like fruit, but that doesn't mean it's good for them. I wouldn't feed fruits except an occasional strawberry from time to time. They love cactus and it's fruit. When in season, cactus produce a reddish fruit called by some, dragon fruit. I feed it to my sullies when cactus produces it, usually around Sept/Oct. They can eat pumpkin and occasionally watermelon on real hot days.
You can go online and search "reptiles" for foods, plants, and other items. I use "Silkworm" to purchase spineless cactus and Mazuri for tortoises.

That's "Coastal Silkworms," not just Silkworm. My bad.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Omg, I didn't catch that. It can't be a 25 foot by 25 foot terrarium! They don't make it that big. It must be 25" x 25" and like you said that's way, way too small. Melissa, you've got to get a bigger enclosure for him asap.
Your right they don't make them that big. I was just thinking that maybe they just called it that, but it was something else.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Melissa!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Melissa, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Armstrong. :)