I have to ask also I guess, Male or Female?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mightymizz

5 Year Member
SAM_1274.JPGSAM_1276.JPGSAM_1273.JPGHey everyone,

So our tortoise is just over 4 years old and is just a tad over 6" SCL.

I understand that he/she might still be too small to determine sex, and please feel free to say just that, but also share if you feel confident of a gender.

Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:

chris_m90731

5 Year Member
personally, it's hard for me to determine. but i don't see the long-ish rear scutes to indicate female. probably male. probe maybe?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Dinky tail, small angle V-shaped anal scutes? Female. May yet change, but right now, female.

mightymizz

5 Year Member
Thanks all so far!

It seems that some at 6" is easier to determine, but I do see how this tortoise is a little in between currently.

How much larger is the traditional male's tail than a traditional female?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
LOTS- embarrassingly so! Female tails barely reach the ground, a male's can reach almost half the length of the plastron.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
I read all the time “ this could change” …NO It doesn’t! .. Your tort’ is born male or female , there are no sequential hermaphroditism.
A better term would be “ More Pronounced” as the tortoise matures. It’s like any other trade … the more you have done , seen and experienced , with multiple tortoises it gets easer and more accurate to identify the sex . Yes there are cases where , immature, less developed, even species of tortoise might be more difficult to determine, but there is no “ change” in it’s sex.

Mark , maybe the OP would find this thread helpful…… ya think?

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-SEXING-YOUR-CHERRYHEAD-REDFOOT#axzz23Ua2oSJs

JD~ :D

PS : ...... You have a Female~;)

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
IMO, it's looking more male because of the way it's starting to go toward the leg but then it's still pretty early to tell.

Here's a pic of a male for sure, notice how the tail goes to the leg.
suzy-cherry-plast.jpg

And a for sure female, just a stub of a tail.
ally-plast.jpg

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Remember it’s not always the case of “how long the tail is” especially in younger torts your trying to sex …. But look at the “vent” area to the tip of the tail. At 6” your tort has pretty much “ developed” into a sub adult…..and yes may get more pronounced as mentioned above , but the vent/tail differences in length will stay constant as the tortoise matures.
JD~

mightymizz

5 Year Member
Thanks for the link JD! I read it and checked out the pics. For my very inexperienced eyes, Im just gonna have to give the tort more time.

Status
Not open for further replies.