I have to rehome (2) 6 year old sulcatas

sliceman420

Location (City and/or State)
Liberty Hill, TX
They are both around 6 years of age. One is significantly bigger with no pyramiding around 45 to 50 lbs. They other is smaller with some pyramiding probably around 30 lbs. I would like to sell them since we need extra money for a move coming up. What is the market like on these guys? I think they are both male and possibly from the same clutch.

saleena.lewis

Massachusetts
Older sulcata tortoises usually go for more than baby or juvenile torts because of their size. A pretty common price range for babies are about 75-100 dollars so going off of that I would say that if I were to sell 2 6 yr old tortoises i would sell them for 350 each or like 550 for both.

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
75-100 dollars? Correct me if I’m wrong but that seems a bit much. I knew a Sulcata tort breeder and he charged 50 for them. Sulcatas reproduce really easily so that‘s why I thought they were cheaper. Maybe I’m thinking of when I was younger. Hmm, maybe that’s it. Well any who hope you find a good home for your Sulcatas.

saleena.lewis

Massachusetts
75-100 dollars? Correct me if I’m wrong but that seems a bit much. I knew a Sulcata tort breeder and he charged 50 for them. Sulcatas reproduce really easily so that‘s why I thought they were cheaper. Maybe I’m thinking of when I was younger. Hmm, maybe that’s it. Well any who hope you find a good home for your Sulcatas.
At most breeders in my area the sulcata's go for about $85

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Older sulcata tortoises usually go for more than baby or juvenile torts because of their size. A pretty common price range for babies are about 75-100 dollars so going off of that I would say that if I were to sell 2 6 yr old tortoises i would sell them for 350 each or like 550 for both.
It doesn't work this way in warmer areas. The going rate for sulcata babies is around $50-75. Adult males are given away for free most of the time. Females can be sold to someone who wants to breed them.

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
It doesn't work this way in warmer areas. The going rate for sulcata babies is around $50-75. Adult males are given away for free most of the time. Females can be sold to someone who wants to breed them.
☹ It takes a lot of care to bring up an baby sulcata to an adulthood. ?That is a sad that adult sulcatas have to be given away for free. To me they are one of the most amazing tortoises around. :<3::tort::<3:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
☹ It takes a lot of care to bring up an baby sulcata to an adulthood. ?That is a sad that adult sulcatas have to be given away for free. To me they are one of the most amazing tortoises around. :<3::tort::<3:
Its not sad. Its just the principals of supply and demand. There isn't that much demand for giant destructive reptiles that need huge enclosures and heated shelters year round. Yet the supply is relatively high due to all the people who buy little babies but are not equipped to handle an adult. Its not easy to sell adults in the warmer parts of the country unless they look really good and smooth, but its pretty easy to give them away. There are lots of people who want them if they are free.

saleena.lewis

Massachusetts
I, speaking for myself do not agree with giving them away for free because if you think of it this way--- say you got a $20,000 tortoise (probably a gallop) you would care for it like it was your child but if you get a free tortoise you don't care about it as much and a lot of people will take advantage of that and just breed them too much or just overall not care for them as well as they should.

EllyMae

Shellman, GA
I, speaking for myself do not agree with giving them away for free because if you think of it this way--- say you got a $20,000 tortoise (probably a gallop) you would care for it like it was your child but if you get a free tortoise you don't care about it as much and a lot of people will take advantage of that and just breed them too much or just overall not care for them as well as they should.

I disagree. I got my tortoise for free. I am doing my absolute best with him. I want him to have the best life possible. I don't care that he is technically 'replaceable'. If I had had to pay a bunch of money for him, I would be doing the same things with him.
If someone has the disposable income to buy a very expensive tortoise, they probably also have the expendable income for a full time tortoise nanny as well, which you could say would be 'better care'.

People mistreat animals for many reasons. I have seen people mistreat expensive breed dogs that they paid a bunch of money for. I have seen mutts treated like royalty. The way the animal is treated has to do with the person more than the income, especially with tortoises. A person who couldn't afford food for their tortoise could go around and gather safe wild plants for free.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think this is a very broad and negative view. There are certainly bad people who will mistreat a free animal, but there are also people who pay good money for them and still don't take proper care of them.

Ellymae's post illustrates this point very well. From what I've seen all over the globe, she is the rule rather than the exception. I myself have been give lots of free tortoises over the years, and also given away a lot of them. All of them were very well cared for.

sliceman420

Liberty Hill, TX
I have decided to rehome these two guys for free preferably to a rescue center or a good home. Message me if you want to pick them up in Central Texas. We are moving soon and will not be able to give them the proper indoor enclosure for the winter months.