Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm home alone with no one to talk to and I have to get this off my chest:

So you know that I ran a "found tortoise" ad in the paper last week and yesterday was the last day it ran. The tortoise was the little Greek female that I showed you all last week. I received many, many phone calls in response to the ad, but actually only about 10 that I considered were from people who really had lost a tortoise.

So this a.m. I get a call from a very sweet sounding, educated sounding woman who said she had lost an Arizona desert turtle. I said no, that wasn't what I found. She asked what kind I had found and without thinking I said, "Greek." After I hung up I thought, "Now why did you say Greek? You know that she's just going to have someone else call to tell you they lost a Greek tortoise. You should've said sulcata!"

Sure enough, about five minutes later this guy calls and says he lost his Greek turtle.

How stupid do they think I am? In the first place, I've been rescuing turtles and tortoises for about 30 years and in all that time I've only taken in 2 or 3 Greeks. They just aren't plentiful here in my town. So I asked him what area of town did they lose their tortoise in? And he named an area too far away from where my Greek was found, so I told him that I had found this tortoise's owner, and I had found the tortoise in Hanford (a town near where I live).

The good news is, I've placed the tortoise with someone who has other Greek tortoises and will give her a good home.

And the RES that was being kept in the small plastic carrier...she still has swollen front legs and doesn't move around much, but she's been eating, so I'm holding out hope for her.

Yvonne

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Yvonne
You must have been so upset when the guy called you 5 minutes after the lady!!!! Some people are so ridiculous, he does not even know for what kind of reptiles he is calling, a greek turtle haha.
I am glad you found a good home to the greek tortoise. I really hope the RES will be ok, But I am happy that she is eating, it is always a good sign.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Yvonne, I know there are people out there that just want a tort so bad they are willing to lie. But do they think we are born yesterday. All they need to do is simply contact a rescue and place an adoption form with them, or let them know they are interested in a tort. I am sorry you recieved so many bogus calls With all the great things you do you don't need to spend your time answering calls like that. I am glad you were able to place her in a good home. And I am glad the RES is eating for you. I'll keep it in my thoughts for a quick recovery.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Yvonne, I know I asked this somewhere but I cant find it: Why do you Not charge for your rescues? or adoptions, or take donations to help in the cost if people offer?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Laura said:
Yvonne, I know I asked this somewhere but I cant find it: Why do you Not charge for your rescues? or adoptions, or take donations to help in the cost if people offer?

If someone was to offer me some veggies or fruit, etc. I would gladly accept such an offer, however I would not want anyone to think I was "selling" a desert tortoise, so no money EVER crosses my palm...even when the transaction doesn't involve a desert tortoise.

Yvonne

Weloveourtortoise

5 Year Member
Gardner, MA
Yvonne,
I am so glad there are people like you in our world. I wish that Matt and I had a habital place to care for more than one RT. Some day I hope to be you, helping and rescuing those in need.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
That's so interesting that people want a tort so bad. There are plenty of good and bad places to obtain or buy torts from. Thank you for all your hard work!

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I don't think its so much as wanting a tortoise badly, but wanting a FREE tortoise. It makes me sick that someone would attempt to take advantage of you like that. If she hadn't lost the animal, why did she not just offer to adopt it, if you didn't find the owner?

I am tired of sneaks and cheats. And for people always expecting something free, especially an animal. Its one thing to adopt, and another thing entirely to try and scam someone.

I am glad she found a good home. You do great work Yvonne

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Makes me mad how shocking some people can be - the nerve ! I'm also tired of cheats and scammers Meg, too many around. They're so stupid how they think you were born yesterday. I take pity on them.

Yvonne that tort was so lucky you found it! You have a wonderful heart, and are so clever to not let them scam you :D Oh and I'm SO happy you found her a good home:)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Meg90 said:
I don't think its so much as wanting a tortoise badly, but wanting a FREE tortoise. It makes me sick that someone would attempt to take advantage of you like that. If she hadn't lost the animal, why did she not just offer to adopt it, if you didn't find the owner?

I am tired of sneaks and cheats. And for people always expecting something free, especially an animal. Its one thing to adopt, and another thing entirely to try and scam someone.

I am glad she found a good home. You do great work Yvonne

Meg I would bet she wanted the animal and for free, but didn't want to go thru the adoption process. Perhaps because she had no idea what it would need or knew she wasn't going to give it the best home. Another thought is, perhaps she is like me. I have a hard time doing an adoption application. Maybe it falls under fear of failure or maybe it's just the knowledge of how it hurts when your deem unworthy to adopt something.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Jacqui said:
I have a hard time doing an adoption application. Maybe it falls under fear of failure or maybe it's just the knowledge of how it hurts when your deem unworthy to adopt something.

There's not much fear of that here, Jacqui. In all the time I've been doing yard inspections, I can only remember two yards I deemed not suitable for a tortoise. One was out in the country and the yard had only T-posts with chicken wire tied to them. The tortoise could easily have pushed out under the fence. The owner couldn't or wouldn't afford to make a pen. The other was like a junk yard...old toilets, bath tubs, and all kinds of trash all over the yard. There wasn't any area for a tortoise to be except in amongst the junk. If there is something wrong with the yard, I work with the person to help them make it right.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.