I have two turtles and have no idea if I am caring for them properly

Tank&Rocket

Location (City and/or State)
Santa Barbara
I have had two box turtles (not sure exact species) for about 8 years. I got them when I was in middle school, and now in my last year of college i've constantly wondered if I am taking care of them properly because they really haven't been growing in a while. I have them in a tank (about 1' x 4' x 1.5'), outdoors (in Santa Barbara) on the porch (they get some direct sunlight but are hidden from rain and things like that). They have about 6 inches of dirt they hibernate and sometimes sleep in. I feed them mealworms about three times a week, but there is always some broccoli/spinach/fruit in their cage to much on. I have two small water dished to drink out of and one large dish (because I heard at one point that turtles like to go to the bathroom in water). Around once every two weeks I take them out and let them just walk around at a local park. Am i treating them right? Are there other things that they need? I really just want them to be happy but it is tough to ask them.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They asap need a much much bigger enclosure. Think about yourself living in a small closet no matter how old or big you got, your space didn't.
Tortoises and turtles need lots of space. Box turtles need high humidity a place to submerge into water and even swim. @Yvonne G or maybe @terryo and others can help you set up a proper home.

Tank&Rocket

Santa Barbara
They asap need a much much bigger enclosure. Think about yourself living in a small closet no matter how old or big you got, your space didn't.
Tortoises and turtles need lots of space. Box turtles need high humidity a place to submerge into water and even swim. @Yvonne G or maybe @terryo and others can help you set up a proper home.
Ok good to know, my porch is about 4 feet by 12 feet so that is the maximum i'm able to hold right now (i'm moving after next year so hopefully I can get a bigger place for them). I tried to find a bigger tank when i recently bought a new one, but everything was roughly the size i have now. I would love any help possible to get them a bigger one.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Can you build one? Maybe two kiddy pools and connect them with either a tunnel that goes through a hole on one and into the other or a bridge.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Look at frame pools on Amazon or something. They are affordable and much roomier than what you have now.

Feed them nightcrawlers, black soldier fly larvae, scrambled egg, etc. No mealworms except occassional.

They live outdoors year round, correct?

Can we see photos of them?

Tank&Rocket

Santa Barbara
Look at frame pools on Amazon or something. They are affordable and much roomier than what you have now.

Feed them nightcrawlers, black soldier fly larvae, scrambled egg, etc. No mealworms except occassional.

They live outdoors year round, correct?

Can we see photos of them?
I will take a look at those, thanks!
Can I buy those food items on amazon? Never heard over giving them scrambled eggs before! I'll get right on that!
Yes they live outdoors year round but hibernate from around Thanksgiving until late Feb/early March.
I'll take photos of them and their living area tomorrow. But i have some old photos. The living area is slightly bigger now and they have better water dishes.
upload_2018-3-13_19-57-40.png IMG_1392.jpeg upload_2018-3-13_19-57-40.png IMG_1392.jpeg upload_2018-3-13_19-57-40.png IMG_1392.jpeg

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
They look pretty good to me. I haven't been on here in so long. I miss everyone. Here's a good diet for box turtles that you can feed every day. I mix some turtle brittle or Mazuri water turtle pellets, chopped up spring mix, chopped cooked carrots, and sweet potato. I add some fruit, melons, strawberries, (any thing you have) and some canned ground venison. My turtles love this. You can change it up and add what ever veggie you have, but I always use the carrot and sweet potato. Dandelion greens are great to, with the flowers. I make a big mix and put it in tubberwear, and it lasts for a week. You can add a scrambled egg too. Your set up looks good for now and whatever you've been doing for 8 years, they look good to me. Add a few more plants in there for them to hide under. Make sure they have a large enough water dish for them to sit in. You can feed them in a terra cotta dish or a piece of flat slate. Their beaks look perfect to me.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They look pretty good to me. I haven't been on here in so long. I miss everyone. Here's a good diet for box turtles that you can feed every day. I mix some turtle brittle or Mazuri water turtle pellets, chopped up spring mix, chopped cooked carrots, and sweet potato. I add some fruit, melons, strawberries, (any thing you have) and some canned ground venison. My turtles love this. You can change it up and add what ever veggie you have, but I always use the carrot and sweet potato. Dandelion greens are great to, with the flowers. I make a big mix and put it in tubberwear, and it lasts for a week. You can add a scrambled egg too. Your set up looks good for now and whatever you've been doing for 8 years, they look good to me. Add a few more plants in there for them to hide under. Make sure they have a large enough water dish for them to sit in. You can feed them in a terra cotta dish or a piece of flat slate. Their beaks look perfect to me.
Miss you too. Hope all is going better for you. Pop in more often. Every once in a while I alert you too a post, hoping your peeking in from time to time.