I hope I'm not the only one wondering about this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
I recently acquired a ~7 year old female Sulcata. I love, love, LOVE her. She has such a great personality. I'd like to find out from other people if their torties respond positively to things like little pets on the head, foot rubs, etc. I'm asking, because mine seems to enjoy this, or at least makes me think she doesn't mind. She seems very relaxed and kind of stretches out and closes her eyes... Is it weird that I pet her like she's a dog? Am I really just annoying her and have no clue??? Give me some thoughts on this, people...

Badgemash

5 Year Member
I think it's down to their individual personalities (at least with my little guys). Mr.T loves to have his head rubbed like a puppy, but if you try it with Gunny he sucks his head in and hides. If she likes it I don't see any reason why not, if it upset her she'd just hide. I'm just happy she's found a good, caring home with you!

-Devon

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CT
It seems that my Leia really likes her legs rubbed but only let's me rub her head sometimes. I also like to rub her when I am giving her a soak too because she just stretches everything out.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi shellysmom:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know YOUR name and where you are?

Its an individual tortoise thing. Some hate to be touched, some tolerate, and still others seem to seek it out and love it.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Thanks for the responses. My name is Erika, I live in Sarasota, Florida on 10 acres, and have 2 horses, 2 dogs, a cat, and our newest addition, Shelly. We are her 4th home, I believe, and somewhere along the line she developed severe pyramiding, but seems to be in pretty good shape, otherwise. Someone on Craigslist was just giving her away, essentially, and I knew the second I read the post that she was supposed to come home to me... I'm not sure why I love chelonians so much, but I just really do.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Welcome to the wonderful world of sulcatas. A large percentage of sulcatas are personable like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.