I introduce you my Gommo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eduvignau

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mexico City
DSCN7894.JPGDSCN7895.JPGDSCN7893.JPGDSCN7890.JPGThis is Gommo, my 14mo sulcata. I'm in Mexico City so it can lives in exterior almost all day and in enclosure by night and in cold days. Gommo eats a lot of grass, cactus (nopal), alfalfa, chayote (christophene), dandelion and Mazuri pellets once a week. I use in eclosure a Solar glo light. Thank you all!!

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Very nice. However, tortoise species should not be mixed. The sully could really do some damage on that little one in the pic, not to mention the other one too. That's besides the bad things that could be transmitted between them. Each species really needs to have their own enclosures, inside and outside.

Eduvignau

5 Year Member
Mexico City
wellington said:
Very nice. However, tortoise species should not be mixed. The sully could really do some damage on that little one in the pic, not to mention the other one too. That's besides the bad things that could be transmitted between them. Each species really needs to have their own enclosures, inside and outside.

Oh I forgot to mention that the two little tortoises are plastic toys! Sorry :p

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Haha! I was squinting at that picture thinking "what kind of tortoises are those?" LOL!

Gommo is adorable!

Eduvignau

5 Year Member
Mexico City
mctlong said:
Haha! I was squinting at that picture thinking "what kind of tortoises are those?" LOL!

Gommo is adorable!

Haha, they're ultra-exotic chelonion-fauna!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I even enlarged the pic and still thought they were real, also wondered why you didn't mention them. Guess I need new glasses. Good one:D

Eduvignau

5 Year Member
Mexico City
wellington said:
I even enlarged the pic and still thought they were real, also wondered why you didn't mention them. Guess I need new glasses. Good one:D

Take a look of this close-up of Gommo´s friend :)

IMAG0882.jpgIMAG0883.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Maggie Cummings

Too much alfalfa is not good for Sulcata, it has too much protein for them. Local grass hay is better. Then you can feed as much as you like...

Eduvignau

5 Year Member
Mexico City
maggie3fan said:
Too much alfalfa is not good for Sulcata, it has too much protein for them. Local grass hay is better. Then you can feed as much as you like...

Thanks! I will take your advice :)

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Saludos Districto Federal! Gommo is darling. Gommo is a cool name. Does it mean anything, or is it a nickname?
I love Schleich toys, they always look so real. I have been looking for the tortoises but they have been hard to find in my area. Guess I have to go to Mexico!
Does Gommo have a warm and cozy, hot and humid enclosure when he is inside after sunbathing outside?

Eduvignau

5 Year Member
Mexico City
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Saludos Districto Federal! Gommo is darling. Gommo is a cool name. Does it mean anything, or is it a nickname?
I love Schleich toys, they always look so real. I have been looking for the tortoises but they have been hard to find in my area. Guess I have to go to Mexico!
Does Gommo have a warm and cozy, hot and humid enclosure when he is inside after sunbathing outside?

Hi, Gommo doesn't mean something, my kids put him the name hehe, and sure, Gommo has a terrarium warm and humid.
Something that I realized lately is that many people of this forum use alluminium foils to cover the roof of the cage to keep moisture and humidity, so I will do it, can you tell me something about it?

Sorry my english
Hugues!!!

luvpetz27 said:
Gommo is adorable!!
Love his little plastic friends :) :)

Thank you Luv :)

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Your English is fine. Welcome to a great and wonderful forum for tortoise keeping! Amazing good information to learn from!

Long time experts on this forum have found, pretty conclusively, that keeping the young tortoise's enclosure hot and humid really helps tortoises from getting pyramids. It seems to strongly coincide with the possibility that baby tortoises are born in the rainy season in Africa and in order to stay safe and not be someone's meal, they hide and therefore are surrounded by lots of heat and lots of humidity. Many newer keepers are trying these suggested new methods and finding that they do indeed help to have smooth shells. No pyramiding, yay! The pyramiding of the old school methods may be a result of babies/young ones kept in very dry conditions.

Please do read Tom's threads. Must read. He explains it wonderfully. I am raising my little one that way and so far smooth shell ... lovely. Basically, hot-humid-hydrated = happy!

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Phoenix AZ aria
I don't see any substrate in that enclosure... is there? They love digging down into the earth so they can feel cozy. :p

Eduvignau

5 Year Member
Mexico City
srod said:
welcome! que lindo esta gommo =)

Gracias!

BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Your English is fine. Welcome to a great and wonderful forum for tortoise keeping! Amazing good information to learn from!

Long time experts on this forum have found, pretty conclusively, that keeping the young tortoise's enclosure hot and humid really helps tortoises from getting pyramids. It seems to strongly coincide with the possibility that baby tortoises are born in the rainy season in Africa and in order to stay safe and not be someone's meal, they hide and therefore are surrounded by lots of heat and lots of humidity. Many newer keepers are trying these suggested new methods and finding that they do indeed help to have smooth shells. No pyramiding, yay! The pyramiding of the old school methods may be a result of babies/young ones kept in very dry conditions.

Please do read Tom's threads. Must read. He explains it wonderfully. I am raising my little one that way and so far smooth shell ... lovely. Basically, hot-humid-hydrated = happy!

Wow! I just did The foil tip and humidity is at 70%. Thank you again!

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Yay! Yes! Si! And don't forget that soaking is wonderful, too. Tortoise spa (ahhhhh!). It really helped me with two Greek tortoises that were having a hard time adjusting from their long journey from the Middle East. Here in the USA we are getting a lot of Testudo graeca graeca and Testudo graeca terrestris in to our major pet stores, but it looks like they may be wild caught. Mine would not eat, were very shy ... I was afraid they would die. Upon reading the recommendation by the experts here to soak in warm water with baby food mixed in, I did and within days they were better. I also boosted up my temperatures. Just so you know. Lots of fabulous info on this forum. I hope it will help little baby Gommo the African sulcata to thrive in Mexico City! : )

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Are you going to put substrate in the bottom of the enclosure?

Eduvignau

5 Year Member
Mexico City
lkwagner said:
Are you going to put substrate in the bottom of the enclosure?

May be I will do it in a near future, but he has repti-bark as substrate in the indoor enclosure :)

Status
Not open for further replies.