I just finished this 4x8 for our 2 yr old Leopard.

gking6

Location (City and/or State)
Waco, Texas
Just finished this 4'x8' enclosure for our 2 yr old Leopard. I built in a hide with removable top. This is portable if need be. Located in central TX. Plan on incorporating some thornless cactus and dandelion in the coming days.
Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 20240707_143533.jpg
    20240707_143533.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 3
  • 20240707_143435.jpg
    20240707_143435.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 3
Reactions: Ink

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A two year old should still be in a closed chamber inside your home with high humidity.
This new build is great for short time outside, like for an hour a day or a few days a week.
Once he reaches 10 inches straight length, bottom shell head to tail, then he can live outside 24/7 with a heated night box for any of those cold days and nights.
At that point, a 4x8 will be to small as the 4x8 is good for an adult Russian not a leopard.
You got another year this one will work and then you can add on or turn it into a night box.
Also be sure there is plenty of shade available.

Reactions: Ink

gking6

Waco, Texas
A two year old should still be in a closed chamber inside your home with high humidity.
This new build is great for short time outside, like for an hour a day or a few days a week.
Once he reaches 10 inches straight length, bottom shell head to tail, then he can live outside 24/7 with a heated night box for any of those cold days and nights.
At that point, a 4x8 will be to small as the 4x8 is good for an adult Russian not a leopard.
You got another year this one will work and then you can add on or turn it into a night box.
Also be sure there is plenty of shade available.
We have plenty of room. He is 3 yrs old, not 2 like I stated previously. About 8 inches long shell bottom. He will be kept inside in his inside habitat until he gets a little bigger. This enclosure is half shaded during the hot afternoons. I was just wondering how long he can be outside per day?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We have plenty of room. He is 3 yrs old, not 2 like I stated previously. About 8 inches long shell bottom. He will be kept inside in his inside habitat until he gets a little bigger. This enclosure is half shaded during the hot afternoons. I was just wondering how long he can be outside per day?
At 8 inches, he can be outside most of the day, but be really really careful about over heating. You need deep over head shade. He will cook in the little hide if it is in full sun.

Also at 8 inches, 4x8 feet is far too small. He needs something much larger than that and there needs to be a lot more shade in summer time. I give tortoises this size about 30x30 feet outdoor enclosures. It doesn't necessarily have to be that big, but 4x8 is more appropriate for a 3-4 inch baby.

Here is one way to do it, this is 8x8 feet and it houses a single 4-5 inch tortoise. Two of these together, or something similar, would work for your tortoise:

IMG_1050.jpg
IMG_1051.jpg