I just got a Indian Star and i need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

101isthebest

hi everyone,

i just got an indian star on saturday and i do not know much about them. will u guys help me please. What kind of food, environment, care, etc. they need?

Thanks,

Ileana

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
First of all you should try to find Jeffrey Fife's book on Star Tortoises. They from a semi-arid savanna enviornment with a monsoon season. Their diet is mainly forbs (here plantain weed, dandilion, wood violet, ect) and grasses to lesser extent. No fruit. No protein. They are most active between 85 and 95 degrees farenhite. I keep mine on grass hay with a humid hide for shelter.Mine have a plant saucer with water available at all times (other keepers do'nt). An excellant food source is prickly pear. One thing you want to do is have exotic vet give a complete checkup if it had any with other reptile (tort, turtle, ect.). They can be delicate but once they are established they are blast.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee

101isthebest

thanks,
i will take pics this weekend. im busy with school.=]

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Ileana, I can't give you any advice on these torts but wanted to congratulate you on becoming a Star mom. Best of luck with you new little one.

jpeck425

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Michigan
101isthebest said:
hi everyone,

i just got an indian star on saturday and i do not know much about them. will u guys help me please. What kind of food, environment, care, etc. they need?

Thanks,

Ileana

Congratulations Ileana, I'm envious! I agree with Larry about fife's book. It is a well-written text and is filled with useful information and wonderful photos. I've never kept stars myself, but I have several friends who have done well with them.

Be well
Jeff

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Ileana, i know you will take great care of your Star. You are a great mom so far with your leopard and baby desert. Let us know if you have any concerns or questions as all. We are all here to help you.

And take some pics! We all loves to see pics!

See you at the show in anaheim!

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
i have to echo what cory said, we gotta see photos, ileana! see you in anaheim!

101isthebest

i will try to take pics of star tomorrow, i still need a name for him, any ideas. i think he is ready to mate, does anyone have a female star? I will see everyone at the anaheim show!

Status
Not open for further replies.