I just got my pvc terrarium, but i got som problems.

HorrorHaru-Redfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Scandinavian
I got my new terrarium, but I got some problems.
When I orderd my terrarium i thought the builder agreed to set up the lamps but he only brought the lamps, there might have been some communication problems. So the heat lamp and uvb light are still uninstalled, cause im insecure about screwing screws in pvc, and making alot of holes if i miss place the lamps. Alsow how do i fasten the cable to the terrarium roof. Another problem with the terrarium is that there is a gap on the left side. The terrarium is i 2 parts so it could be carried up to the second floor, it is conected on the inside with clasps. The gap is where the the 2 parts meet. The builder gave me some foam tape to use between to make sure moisture would not escape but he said it was not nessesery to use it, he alsow said thr gap happed because we connected the parts together wrong (it was discoverd before we looked at it). I also need to find a new place to place the hooks that holds the lid/doors open, cause the ones in the terrarium fall down all the time and will hurt the tortoise when they move inn. The doors are realy heavy and I was told the doors need the be fasten in spesial way because they are heavy. I hope to move them in before christmas.
I hope sombody with more exsperiens can help guid me trought this. Normaly i would ask my dad but he pased away 2 months ago.
And with christmas closing in i don't got any other people to ask for help. Sorry if my writing is messy. :p 20211218_010518.jpg20211218_010529.jpg
20211216_210734.jpg.20211216_210757.jpg20211214_200714.jpg20211216_210757.jpg

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Sorry for your loss. The best way is to position and plan out where you want everything to go. Light on the ceiling off center and heat on middle of left or right side away from edges or the side you have cable exit. This will allow you to get a hot side and the non heat side = cool side. I see you have hooks so you can use 2 in a line towards the cable exit hole which he should if made top right or left. Block the unused one with plastic to retain humidity.
For the join first you need to ensure it will not separate this could be added a wood piece top and bottom with screws on the back to join them then i recommend getting sticky back plastic https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Self-Adh...c-919d-4822-9173-41d36c9b0fbb&redirect=mobile
run a continuous piece along the inside base and up the back. This will waterproof it.
Maybe sharing directions, cable exit and other info may help? For the screws a good screw driver and this tool to help you make the hole
Then once you have planned it all out start putting it together. Make sure everything is safe and secure and test run it befor your tortoise goes in. Should be on in advance of them using up so you check temperatures and adjust.
Have a go and ask as required. Do you have a handy friend who could help?
Links are to uk stores but you can search locally for same.

HorrorHaru-Redfoot

Scandinavian
Sorry for your loss. The best way is to position and plan out where you want everything to go. Light on the ceiling off center and heat on middle of left or right side away from edges or the side you have cable exit. This will allow you to get a hot side and the non heat side = cool side. I see you have hooks so you can use 2 in a line towards the cable exit hole which he should if made top right or left. Block the unused one with plastic to retain humidity.
For the join first you need to ensure it will not separate this could be added a wood piece top and bottom with screws on the back to join them then i recommend getting sticky back plastic https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Self-Adh...c-919d-4822-9173-41d36c9b0fbb&redirect=mobile
run a continuous piece along the inside base and up the back. This will waterproof it.
Maybe sharing directions, cable exit and other info may help? For the screws a good screw driver and this tool to help you make the hole
Then once you have planned it all out start putting it together. Make sure everything is safe and secure and test run it befor your tortoise goes in. Should be on in advance of them using up so you check temperatures and adjust.
Have a go and ask as required. Do you have a handy friend who could help?
Links are to uk stores but you can search locally for same.
Thank you and sorry for the late reply. I did not get the lamps installed before Christmas. I have thought about having the heat lamps on the right side. And the UV from the left, goes in a straight line towards the heat lamps. But I have also thought about having the UV lamps side by side, unsure of which location makes the light cover most of the terrarium. what do you think is best? Instead of using a wooden plank to hold the two parts together, I wondered if I could place the same types of hooks that are on the inside, on the outside to close the gap, and use aquarium silicon to seal the edge? Her are som more photos of the terrarium. The hook thing that are on the inside, the builder said he wanted it to look pretty on the outside. Thats why theyr on the inside . The other photo is of the inside where I found another gap. (The pink line is the wall behind it) 20220111_211044.jpg20220111_003549.jpg

Attachments

• 20220111_211310.jpg
    20220111_211310.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • 20220111_002806.jpg
    20220111_002806.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • 20220111_002759.jpg
    20220111_002759.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4

HorrorHaru-Redfoot

Scandinavian
Thank you and sorry for the late reply. I did not get the lamps installed before Christmas. I have thought about having the heat lamps on the right side. And the UV from the left, goes in a straight line towards the heat lamps. But I have also thought about having the UV lamps side by side, unsure of which location makes the light cover most of the terrarium. what do you think is best? Instead of using a wooden plank to hold the two parts together, I wondered if I could place the same types of hooks that are on the inside, on the outside to close the gap, and use aquarium silicon to seal the edge? Her are som more photos of the terrarium. The hook thing that are on the inside, the builder said he wanted it to look pretty on the outside. Thats why theyr on the inside . The other photo is of the inside where I found another gap. (The pink line is the wall behind it) View attachment 338860View attachment 338859
The ceramic lamp also got no attachment piece only a cable, is it ok for a lamp to hang from a cable? It looks a little rusty and the label is ripped off, I suspect he might sold me a used one.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
If I am looking at the pictures correctly those gaps are tiny. I wouldn't stress too much about sealing them up. If you need to seal the enclosure better you could start covering up the round ventilation holes first.
I have never seen a light fixture like that in the US but if it doesn't have a way to mount to something then it must be designed to be supported by the cord. The lamp won't weigh very much, so Im sure it will be fine.

HorrorHaru-Redfoot

Scandinavian
If I am looking at the pictures correctly those gaps are tiny. I wouldn't stress too much about sealing them up. If you need to seal the enclosure better you could start covering up the round ventilation holes first.
I have never seen a light fixture like that in the US but if it doesn't have a way to mount to something then it must be designed to be supported by the cord. The lamp won't weigh very much, so Im sure it will be fine.
I was about to set one of the heat lamps up, one with a dome. And I noticed a tiny warning on the package saying:
INSTRUCTIONS
• ReptiDome 14 is for use above screen top reptiles terrariums. Not for use
Inside any animal cage or terrarium (risk of fire).

Im gona look in local pet stores for a new dome heat lamp and another ceramic lamp that got somthing to attach it to in the terrarium.

I paid 14 000 kr for the enclosure with heat lamps, uv lamps, transportation. Feel kind of lost with little information about what to do. And im thankful for this website TortoiseForum where I can find more accurate information about tortoises.