I just shocked my RT hatchling :(

TortugaGirl

OMGosh, I feel so bad right now. I was going to measure my little guys carapace and when I reached down to grab him I had static electricity and shocked the little guy. I feel so bad, he jumped a little and then when I went to try to pick him up he hissed at me (rightfully so). I'm almost in tears as I type this. Now he is probably not going to trust me. :( Just in the 12 days I have had him he lets me pet his head and yesterday when he was soaking he even let me pet his little legs and didn't flinch and tuck them in like he usually does. Poor little guy, if he can't trust mommy then who can he trust? :( Has this ever happened to anyone? Feeling like a very horrible mommy right now.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fargo, ND
Toms right. Also, he didn't hiss, that's just the noise that happens when they pull quickly into their shell...it's just air, not a vocalized sound.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, looks like you're going to have to mount some of those anti-shock thing-a-ma-bobs hanging down from your posterior, like what people have mounted on their RV bumpers.

TortugaGirl

Toms right. Also, he didn't hiss, that's just the noise that happens when they pull quickly into their shell...it's just air, not a vocalized sound.
So then tortoises do not hiss at all? It is just the noise from pulling into their shell?

TortugaGirl

Don't rub your feet on the carpet! :) He's already forgotten it...
haha...it wasn't that I rubbed my feet on carpet. I had to think about why this happened as I have had him for almost two weeks and never had this happen. Well, it was a little chilly out this morning so I put on my fleece vest and then took it off when I got to school. That is what caused me to be so electrifying! ha

erdavis

5 Year Member
Gainesville, Fl (Go Gators!)
Really?? That's very interesting to know, I've had my sully for a few years now and I always thought it was him hissing. Thanks for letting us know!

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I usually associate static electric shocks with low humidity and cold winter days. Was your humidity in the building very low?

M

Maggie Cummings

So then tortoises do not hiss at all? It is just the noise from pulling into their shell?

Nope or yep... it's just the air escaping as they pull fast into their shell. Funny, isn't it.

TortugaGirl

Nope or yep... it's just the air escaping as they pull fast into their shell. Funny, isn't it.
Well, I don't know that knowing this makes me feel any better. When I thought he was hissing I was sad because he was mad at me. Now that I know it is him pulling into his shell super fast, I am still sad and feel bad that I have scared him enough to have to "take cover"! haha