I like cats. I dislike cat owners. Please help

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The only time I’ve used the recirculating feature is for a temporary issue...like passing a paper processing plant....or being stuck behind a car burning oil ( instant throbbing headache). Lol...and in my posting I meant to say the mold buildup occurs on the evaporator. Just a suggestion to any who are replacing a cabin air filter...look at ones made by K&N. It’s washable/reusable...and actually costs less than a cheap paper OEM one. The good ‘ol dealer is always “looking out for me” and does “free vehicle inspections” when ever I’m there. When my Jeep was due for its first servicing...they recommended replacing the cabin air filter for about 150.00 including labor ( which would be a recurring maintenance cost). I bought a K&N reusable one for about 40.00 and installed it in 5 minutes. And I just take out the K&N and clean it whenever needed. All our vehicles have K&N air filters...both cabin and engine.
I don't let the dealerships touch my vehicles once the finance papers are signed.
I do my own maintenance (with original parts) and because we buy only Toyota products, there are no repairs.
Dealerships usually have just one ASE master mechanic so that they can hang his or her certification on the wall. Then they use morons off of the street to perform most repairs and all of the service and warranty work.

Skip K

Virginia
I don't let the dealerships touch my vehicles once the finance papers are signed.
I do my own maintenance (with original parts) and because we buy only Toyota products, there are no repairs.
Dealerships usually have just one ASE master mechanic so that they can hang his or her certification on the wall. Then they use morons off of the street to perform most repairs and all of the service and warranty work.
I have a few mechanic friends at a dealer that do any work needed on the side. I buy the part and they install it ( if I can’t) for lunch money. Luckily I can do much of the maintenance myself

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have a few mechanic friends at a dealer that do any work needed on the side. I buy the part and they install it ( if I can’t) for lunch money. Luckily I can do much of the maintenance myself
Unless specialty tools are required, you're ALWAYS better off doing it yourself

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
Toxoplasmosis is extremely dangerous for pregnant women. They should never mess with a litter box. I freakin hate to be lumped in with the phrase "cat owners", I am a cat owner and have had a cat or cats my whole life. I LOVE cats! But my cats never, absolutely never go outside. Simon...
I get very angry at this subject. I hate outside cats, and their owners. People like me feel harassed by other peoples cats, killing my birds, crapping in my gardens, spraying my back door, knocking over my potted plants, and the big one, dirty cat prints on my car. That makes me craziest. I also get angry when people like ZEROPILOT get all twisted about a particular cat. It's not the cat's fault, it's the cat owners I get mad at. Because of these cat owners, people like ZEROPILOT are forced to do something they don't like, getting rid of the cat. ZEROPILOT is a kind, caring compassionate person, and he now is having to deal with something that he shouldn't have to, doing something to the cat is not emotionally easy. It sucks
Smokey

kitty.png

After going without cats or dogs for a few years, I've learned that I'm much more relaxed around cud-chewers and could do fine without carnivore pets. Then I moved in with my bf who had two (indoor) cats that sound like they were adopted on impulse. They're family now, so we've adjusted. The Norwegian (fuzzy) cat clung to me and became my shadow, it's like he knew that I hate cat hair. Sadly, he is getting dementia and as much as I hate the inconvenience of kitties, I'm gonna miss him when it's time.

It's funny you bring this up, because when I originally purchased my car (barely used) from a dealership, I started to notice a urine smell after driving a while with the circulation going. Like human pee. When I brought it up, they wanted to replace filters for a fee (shouldn't that already be replaced before selling it?). I have a sensitive snoot and it took years for the scent to completely fade, I stopped noticing it after last year's service. I'm thoroughly convinced that I bought a break-up-revenge car.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Re: Cat pee...When I went down to Y's house last time I took Smokey with me. He's 12 yrs, I have had him for a year. His other old lady keeper died. So I don't know his background. I put a litter box in the back, and took off. Well, I don't think he's ever been in a car before, or maybe just not loose in one. So at first he cowered in the passenger compartment scared. Then the smell creeps up, oh hell, he's peed himself, my #3 floor mat, and my beautiful black carpet. Damn. I got Arm & Hammer daily litter Fragrance Booster, only I didn't spray the litter, I sprayed the mat and carpet. Done...NO cat pee smell
100_5902.JPG

Skip K

Virginia

After going without cats or dogs for a few years, I've learned that I'm much more relaxed around cud-chewers and could do fine without carnivore pets. Then I moved in with my bf who had two (indoor) cats that sound like they were adopted on impulse. They're family now, so we've adjusted. The Norwegian (fuzzy) cat clung to me and became my shadow, it's like he knew that I hate cat hair. Sadly, he is getting dementia and as much as I hate the inconvenience of kitties, I'm gonna miss him when it's time.

It's funny you bring this up, because when I originally purchased my car (barely used) from a dealership, I started to notice a urine smell after driving a while with the circulation going. Like human pee. When I brought it up, they wanted to replace filters for a fee (shouldn't that already be replaced before selling it?). I have a sensitive snoot and it took years for the scent to completely fade, I stopped noticing it after last year's service. I'm thoroughly convinced that I bought a break-up-revenge car.
You’d be surprised how many people ignore cabin filter maintenance on their cars. Not only can they trap/become saturated with a bad smell...but the more clogged it is...puts a bigger strain on the blower motor making it work harder...not only reducing efficiency but can cause premature blower failure. This is why I use a K&N. Cabin filters get dirty fairly fast ( depending on driving conditions)....and your options are...let the dealer hose you for a cheap OEM paper filter and labor...or pay a lot of money for a cheap OEM and change it your self...or get a reusable filter that you can clean and will last the life of the car...and install it yourself

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Don’t get me started on specialized tools...lol. I have a nice collection of specialized tools...for vehicles I don’t have anymore
I bought my IROC in 1988, it's an '89. All the crap is metric, and that was 'specialized'(remember this was 32 yrs ago), so because I am the way I am, I spent many a dollar collecting metric stuff, screw drivers and wrenches, and the like, because I am relatively mechanical and that keeps me from getting stranded or something. So about that time I started making money driving truck, I have always had a professional mechanic and I've never used any of that stuff I bought. I've had a great mechanic since I moved here to Oregon. He's the one put the LT1 engine in, anyway oh, he also complimented me on my new hair cut. Now THAT'S a mechanic...lol

Skip K

Virginia
I bought my IROC in 1988, it's an '89. All the crap is metric, and that was 'specialized'(remember this was 32 yrs ago), so because I am the way I am, I spent many a dollar collecting metric stuff, screw drivers and wrenches, and the like, because I am relatively mechanical and that keeps me from getting stranded or something. So about that time I started making money driving truck, I have always had a professional mechanic and I've never used any of that stuff I bought. I've had a great mechanic since I moved here to Oregon. He's the one put the LT1 engine in, anyway oh, he also complimented me on my new hair cut. Now THAT'S a mechanic...lol
I hear ya! I bought a Toyota 4wd truck in ‘88. Only a four cylinder...but I had to by a expensive specialized tool...to extract 1 of the plugs for every tune-up. Luckily my ‘79 Trans Am was simple to work on. Kept it for 16 years

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I live exactly five miles east of the main street in the small town of Clovis, CA. I used to say it was rural, but there's been so much new home building that there are subdivisions built up pretty close to my house. The street in front of my house has no posted speed limit so most cars drive pretty fast, and all the people on the side street have rural mailboxes and each is about a half acre, some an acre.

The mind set for those in town folks who don't want their cat anymore is to "take it out into the country and dump it." Well, since I live on the main east/west street out of town, and five miles out, my house seems to be "out in the country" to those folks. I get a lot of cats that don't belong here.

Because I have cats of my own and have cat food out for them, the newly deposited cats always find their way to my house. At first I scat and shoo them, but if they continue to hang around I trap them, take them in to be neutered and spayed, then release them back at my house. In this way I usually always have at least four outside cats, occasionally more. There's just no way in the world I'd bring all those strays into my house after they'd been neutered.

My outside cats are well fed and attended to. They get human intervention, brushing, loving and petting daily. Right now I have four outside cats and I can go outside any time of the day or night and see all four of them. My next door neighbor has two cats and I occasionally see them too, but they just come over to eat my cat food and pick fights with my cats.

I don't think my cats make nuisances of themselves at my neighbors' houses, but I've told different neighbors when I've had occasion to talk to them outside that they have my permission to squirt my cats with the hose, throw rocks at them, shoo them away.
I agree, her cats were always around her house and property. There was a long haired orange cat who lived next door and he was in Yvonne's yard daily while I was there. And wouldn't you know it, I decided to catch that cat and take him home, and I never saw him again...oh well

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I hear ya! I bought a Toyota 4wd truck in ‘88. Only a four cylinder...but I had to by a expensive specialized tool...to extract 1 of the plugs for every tune-up. Luckily my ‘79 Trans Am was simple to work on. Kept it for 16 years
My first engine was a 327, and because Chevy didn't always have a better idea, both the back spark plugs were shoved against the firewall, and you had to put it on the rack and get them from underneath. The car is too low to even squeeze under and I only weigh 115...Oh NASCAR...bye!!!!!!!!!

Skip K

Virginia
My first engine was a 327, and because Chevy didn't always have a better idea, both the back spark plugs were shoved against the firewall, and you had to put it on the rack and get them from underneath. The car is too low to even squeeze under and I only weigh 115...Oh NASCAR...bye!!!!!!!!!
That’s why I have Jeeps now. At 6’4” and almost 240lbs...I can’t fit comfortably in most cars let alone work underneath one anymore. I remember when I was younger and slimmer...I helped a friend work on his ‘55 Nomad. So much room I could stand IN the engine bay to help him work on it...lol. Now I can’t fit an arm between the engine and the inside wheel wall on all our vehicles

Skip K

Virginia
And for my “cat” story. Some might not find humorous though. My grandad when he retired...loved his vegetable and flower gardens. Worked very hard on his lawn too. His home was a showplace. The neighbor had a cat they let roam during the day. The cat liked coming over and peeing/crapping on my grandads vegetables and flowers as well as tearing up plants. Grandad talked to the neighbor...trying to be diplomatic...but to no avail. When Grandad found out the cat was pissing/ crapping in the sandbox he built for the grandkids ( which I was one) to play in...he had enough. He set out cat food in the gardens with a small amount of exlax mixed in. The next day he noticed every window in the neighbors house was open. He saw his neighbor and “innocently” asked what happened. The neighbor said their cat ran through much of the house the night before with explosive diarrhea. Grandad said there were no more cat issues after that.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
And for my “cat” story. Some might not find humorous though. My grandad when he retired...loved his vegetable and flower gardens. Worked very hard on his lawn too. His home was a showplace. The neighbor had a cat they let roam during the day. The cat liked coming over and peeing/crapping on my grandads vegetables and flowers as well as tearing up plants. Grandad talked to the neighbor...trying to be diplomatic...but to no avail. When Grandad found out the cat was pissing/ crapping in the sandbox he built for the grandkids ( which I was one) to play in...he had enough. He set out cat food in the gardens with a small amount of exlax mixed in. The next day he noticed every window in the neighbors house was open. He saw his neighbor and “innocently” asked what happened. The neighbor said their cat ran through much of the house the night before with explosive diarrhea. Grandad said there were no more cat issues after that.
I think that's funnier than hell! Way to go Grampa!!!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I did purchase those plastic mats shown in a previous post. The ones with the plastic spikes.
But the cat hasn't been back on Kelly's car since I sprinkled "Everglades seasoning" on the roof.
It contains some hot pepper.
I think he got a nice face full of it.
I saw him on my roof last night. That's acceptable.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Toxoplasmosis is extremely dangerous for pregnant women. They should never mess with a litter box. I freakin hate to be lumped in with the phrase "cat owners", I am a cat owner and have had a cat or cats my whole life. I LOVE cats! But my cats never, absolutely never go outside. Simon...
View attachment 319587
I get very angry at this subject. I hate outside cats, and their owners. People like me feel harassed by other peoples cats, killing my birds, crapping in my gardens, spraying my back door, knocking over my potted plants, and the big one, dirty cat prints on my car. That makes me craziest. I also get angry when people like ZEROPILOT get all twisted about a particular cat. It's not the cat's fault, it's the cat owners I get mad at. Because of these cat owners, people like ZEROPILOT are forced to do something they don't like, getting rid of the cat. ZEROPILOT is a kind, caring compassionate person, and he now is having to deal with something that he shouldn't have to, doing something to the cat is not emotionally easy. It sucks
Smokey
View attachment 319588
You and me both. You can't even tell I have a cat or bunny when you walk into my home. But step outside and it stinks to high heaven. I'm really tired of seeing those people abusing their pet cats by leaving them exposed to all that. And by their stupidity exposing their families to those diseases too. I've actually seen a case of flesh eating strep in a poor cat here and more.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I live exactly five miles east of the main street in the small town of Clovis, CA. I used to say it was rural, but there's been so much new home building that there are subdivisions built up pretty close to my house. The street in front of my house has no posted speed limit so most cars drive pretty fast, and all the people on the side street have rural mailboxes and each is about a half acre, some an acre.

The mind set for those in town folks who don't want their cat anymore is to "take it out into the country and dump it." Well, since I live on the main east/west street out of town, and five miles out, my house seems to be "out in the country" to those folks. I get a lot of cats that don't belong here.

Because I have cats of my own and have cat food out for them, the newly deposited cats always find their way to my house. At first I scat and shoo them, but if they continue to hang around I trap them, take them in to be neutered and spayed, then release them back at my house. In this way I usually always have at least four outside cats, occasionally more. There's just no way in the world I'd bring all those strays into my house after they'd been neutered.

My outside cats are well fed and attended to. They get human intervention, brushing, loving and petting daily. Right now I have four outside cats and I can go outside any time of the day or night and see all four of them. My next door neighbor has two cats and I occasionally see them too, but they just come over to eat my cat food and pick fights with my cats.

I don't think my cats make nuisances of themselves at my neighbors' houses, but I've told different neighbors when I've had occasion to talk to them outside that they have my permission to squirt my cats with the hose, throw rocks at them, shoo them away.
Some people's cats don't make a nuisance of themselves. One of my brothers has a cat that goes in and out but never leaves his yard. It probably is the care they get at home.