I live in Colorado which desert tortoise do you think I should get?

lilmegtgood

I am thinking about getting a desert tortoise, but I live in Colorado and it kinda cold there so, I just want to know if I should get a desert tortoise and if so what kind and if not what tortoise should I get then?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
there's really only one available to you. they cannot be transported across state lines so a Senora or a Mexican 1 wouldn't be available

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
there's really only one available to you. they cannot be transported across state lines so a Senora or a Mexican 1 wouldn't be available

I actually didn't realize any Gopherus species extended into Colorado. Which one is available there?

OP, there are many species of tortoise out there, what is it about the desert tortoises that interests you?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
a far relative of mine has some DTs in Colorado so they may not be legal there though my bad sorry

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
If I can't get desert tortoise which one should i get

That depends on what you want and can properly take care of. Tell us a bit about where you plan on keeping the tortoise? Inside, outside? How much space do you have to house it? Do you want one that hibernates or not?

lilmegtgood

I would want one to be inside I would be able to have a pretty big tank, I would rather it not hibernate but if it did I would be ok with it and I want it to be able to live in Colorado

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Desert tortoises hibernate, so you may not want one after all. When you say tank, what size space do you mean? Adult tortoises of all species need a lot of space. Keeping them indoors requires building large enclosures - most store bought tanks are not suitable after the baby stage is done.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Plus all tortoise should get outside time. A room should be designated if you can't build an outdoor enclosure too.

lilmegtgood

I guess I am not getting a desert tortoise but I do think a smaller tortoise such as a pancake tortoise would work well for me

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My strategy is to have a large well designed outdoor enclosure for nice weather and a large well designed indoor enclosure for inclement weather and nights.

Any adult species of tortoise will need at least a 4x8'indoor enclosure. Do you have that much space? You mentioned a tank, and tanks are fine for babies, but generally too small for adults.

lilmegtgood

I can definitely find space for an enclosure that big
my office or my upstairs hallway would work