i live in london

maddie.hawks

Location (City and/or State)
Hampton, London
hey guys,
i live in london, uk and as you may know it rains a lot. The last few weeks we’ve had a heatwave and it’s been 18°C at night (65°F) and i haven’t been worried at all as it’s very hot. It rained last night and it was 7°C (45°F) and i was so worried that titch was going to be too cold in his outside enclosure as he doesn’t have a heat lamp or anything in his house, he has lots of hay and he seems fine when he comes out in the afternoon for a run around, but i still get worried for him at night. Do you guys think i should get something to make him warmer or do you think he’s hot enough? i can send a picture of the house outside if you think i should add more hay or anything or something that may keep him warmer as i get so scared. Thankyou for all your help so far it’s been so useful!
From Maddie (and Titch)

Minty82

Wiltshire
add a tubular heater you can get them with built in thermostats , a lot of people on here seem to use radiant heat panels but not been able to find them in the UK

maddie.hawks

Hampton, London
add a tubular heater you can get them with built in thermostats , a lot of people on here seem to use radiant heat panels but not been able to find them in the UK
thankyou! the house also has a hole in it for the like doorway and it’s about 8 inches wide and so do you think it would be pointless to get the heater if that doorways there because it would be just going out the hole

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just make sure he's in his shelter at night and he should be ok.

KronksMom

Illinois
I would recommend putting a door on the opening at the very least. It will prevent the cold winds from blowing in there and making Titch even colder, but it will also protect him from any other potential predators.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I have/use a Dollar Store “door mat” cut to the door’s size, and then slits. You just need to keep the damp cold out. If some heat escapes, it’s ok. As long as it’s warmer inside.

Suey

England
Hi I’m in UK also and yes the weather has gone fro summer to winter almost. On my outside shed I have a hatch type door that I close at night and a small oil filled radiator ( think it’s called a Chico ) I had off Amazon which has a thermostat on.

maddie.hawks

Hampton, London
Hi I’m in UK also and yes the weather has gone fro summer to winter almost. On my outside shed I have a hatch type door that I close at night and a small oil filled radiator ( think it’s called a Chico ) I had off Amazon which has a thermostat on.
ooo i will look that up and do you open it before your tortoise wakes up in the morning or will he/she just stay asleep until you open it x

maddie.hawks

Hampton, London
p
I have/use a Dollar Store “door mat” cut to the door’s size, and then slits. You just need to keep the damp cold out. If some heat escapes, it’s ok. As long as it’s warmer inside.
that’s sounds great, does your tortoise walk through it as not sure whether Titch would want to, however saying that he loves walking through long grass, so maybe he wouldn’t mind it

Suey

England
Hi well lights are on timers, coming on at 7 so after about an hours warming up I open up the hatches. They usually have a look to see what the weathers doing and stay in if cold and windy or straight out if its nice. Then between 4 and 5 they tuck their selves up in bed .