I lost a good friend Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA.
We decided that it was time to put our 13 year old Lab down. He would lose the use of his back legs after a very short walk and was in pain. His breathing was really bad too. What a hard thing to do. It was the first time I have had to decide to put an animal down, but the vet that examined him agreed that he should be put down.
He was such a good friend to me after my dad died (4 years ago). We would hike and he would listen when I needed to talk. Boy will I miss that dog.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Oh Angi, I feel your pain. I know it well.
Everyone will say 13 is a long time, it's just never enough. We had to make a decision in March for our 8 yr old lab and I still dream of him every night. Maybe part of it , he was cut short on many years.
It's hard, but think of not being able to do it.
Take care. Nay

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
My heart is sad for you....you were a true friend, especially in the end Angi. I am sure he will still walk the trails with you though, so a good boy from time to time is still okay ..... peace to your heart dear.

FranklinTturtle

5 Year Member
Myrtle Beach SC
Oh that is painful. I had to put my Ellie Mae to sleep in 2008 for the same reason. I cried every day for 2 years. I would have not taken any money in the world for my girl. I am sorry you had to feel that pain because I know it hurts. But I am glad that you had him for 13 years and I know that you gave him an excellent life. I am glad you have people to talk to and write to.

hali

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
oh i am so sorry but i am sure he had a lovely 13 years with you

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
Had to make the same decision with my Bear almost 2 years ago. Hard doesn't come close to describing it, we all know.

My heart and condolences go out to you.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Losing a good dog is hard. 6 years ago,I lost my JRT. Best dog I've ever had,truely like losing my best friend. I've thought about him every day since. My heart goes out to you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi desert r0se:

Won't you take a few moments to start a new thread in our "introductions" section and tell us a bit about yourself?

Hi Angi:

That's a real hard decision to have to make. No matter how many times it comes up in the lives of your beloved pets, it never gets any easier. Try to remember all the times he made you laugh, and realize he's in a better place now.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
That is so sad. I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. Try to keep your head up and remember the good times you had together.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
The happiness he gave you will always be a part of your life that you will never have to let go of. Hugs...........

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I am so sorry for your loss :(

To have loved and then said farewell is better than to have never loved at all.
For all of the times that you stooped and touched my head, fed me my favorite treat and returned the love that I so unconditionally gave to you.
For the care that you gave to me so unselfishly.
For all of these things I am grateful and thankful.
I ask that you grieve not for the loss but rejoice in the fact that we lived, loved and touched each other's lives.
My life was fuller because you were there, not as owner, but as my friend.
Today, I am as I was in my youth.
The grass is always green, butterflies flit among fthe flowers and the sun shines gently down upon all of God's creatures.
I can run, jump and play and do all of the things that I did in my youth.
There is no sickness, no aching joints and no regrets and no aging.
We await the arrival of our lifelong companions and know that togetherness is forever. You live in our hearts as we do in yours.
Companions such as you are very rare and unique. Don't hold the love that you have within yourself.
Give it to another like me and then I will live forever. For love never really dies, and you are loved and missed as surely as we are.
by Ken D. Conover

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
*hugs* sorry for the hurt your now feeling, but you showed your loved by easing the pain and making this so very difficult choice.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Thanks everybody. I know it was the right thing to do. I put off doing it as long as I could. My 12 year old son is upset with me. He does not understand that it was not fair to Coal to keep him around. He said yesterday " You Killed my dog" that broke my heart. Coal was his buddy. He sat next to him in the yard while he dug a huge hole when he was little. He worked on that hole for a couple of years. Strangely I felt like Landon was safe in the yard if Coal was with him. I know Coal would not let a coyote get my little boy or a snake near him. Then when Landon got a little older Coal would sit next to him while he played tether ball, practiced baseball, jumped on the trampoline, threw a football or whatever Landon did in the back yard Coal was right there with him.
I know my Rat Terrier misses him too. I feel blessed to have had such a good dog in my life.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
HATE HATE HATE that part of loving animals... at least we can make that desicion for them and us when its ready.. let them go with some respect and dignity...
never easy tho...

Status
Not open for further replies.