I LOST BABY RUNT!!!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
All was good with the lady who rescued Baby Runt. She totally understood why I needed to get her. In fact, she apologized to me for having Baby Runt outside in the cold. She assured me I didn't damage anything cause the latch wasn't secure anyway. She was surprised that she was right out in the open since she was deep under a huge shed and not able to be reached. As we all know, after a cold night, she moved out to get warm. I'm just so happy I treated myself to Dunkin donuts !

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Here's a pic of my poor baby enjoying her safe, warm house.WP_20161102_09_41_16_Pro.jpg
She went to a corner where the tiles are a familiar sight. The other shed where she shared the space with three boys (all separated, of course), her room had the same tiles on the floor/wall. She had slept so long, the poor thing was exhausted from this whole debacle.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Glad everything turned out okay.

One night at 59 shouldn't hurt anything. Many sulcatas sleep that way every night and survive.

Diamond

phoenix,az
Yay, Baby Runt is home. Glad you found her. You probably need a nice warm relaxing soak too!!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Glad everything turned out okay.

One night at 59 shouldn't hurt anything. Many sulcatas sleep that way every night and survive.
Thanks Tom. She was a little dehydrated, and she had some matter coming out from her eyes. But, you're right, she survived. Here's what she's doing now:

.WP_20161103_12_24_38_Pro.jpg

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Just saw this, I'm so glad you have her back!!

If you don't mind me asking, I'm curious to know if the lady actually accepted your reward money. I can't imagine anyone would actually take $... When I help lost animals, I'm always thrilled just to be a part of their reunion.

Holly'sMom

Can you share a link to the FB post? I have a bit of family and friends spread around FL. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to share

Holly'sMom

You're right. I didn't do any damage, though. Like I said, the kick was already twisted and not secured. I was able to push again it at an angle, and it opened. I closed it the same way. Call it temporary insanity, but I just had to see how she was. I couldn't wait 4 more hours with her in the cold. I had originally asked if I could just go over and get her. I don't think she would have mind it if it weren't because she had a lock on it. But, like I said, the lock wasn't secured. Well, I'm outside her home waiting for her to come home. When I see her, I'll profoundly apologize and give her the reward money. Maybe, that will help her understand how frantic I've been over her.
She probably just didn't want anyone routing around in her yard wo her home or possibly wanted to make sure she had YOUR tort (although it's probably the first one being you had pic/flyers but ya never know). I'm happy to see she was found!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Just saw this, I'm so glad you have her back!!

If you don't mind me asking, I'm curious to know if the lady actually accepted your reward money. I can't imagine anyone would actually take $... When I help lost animals, I'm always thrilled just to be a part of their reunion.
Yes, she took the reward, but, really, I was glad she did cause I was so happy that she tried to save Baby Runt from going into a busy street! Then, she lifted about 65 lbs into her trunk to get her into a gated backyard. Although she didn't know it, my poor baby slept under her shed in the cold (59 degrees). But, I got her back alive!!!!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
She probably just didn't want anyone routing around in her yard wo her home or possibly wanted to make sure she had YOUR tort (although it's probably the first one being you had pic/flyers but ya never know). I'm happy to see she was found!
I understand not having anyone going in her backyard until she got there, but I was worried about her health. She spent the night outside in the cold, and there's no way I can tell if she was dropped or banged around. The lady said she made grunting noises whenever she was moved. She only does that when she's in pain! So, yeah, I couldn't wait and I wasn't about to leave my lil girl in some backyard with 59 degree temps until she got off work especially when she was right in my sight.

Last edited:

Fredkas

5 Year Member
I'll called the owner first before i am entering his gate.. but wait.. i am afraid the owner will not let me. so i'll just enter by myself without calling. and after that i am apologized. that's what i do. but if the gate is locked down firmly, i'll have to wait. but this case is different. so i'm with sibi.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I'll called the owner first before i am entering his gate.. but wait.. i am afraid the owner will not let me. so i'll just enter by myself without calling. and after that i am apologized. that's what i do. but if the gate is locked down firmly, i'll have to wait. but this case is different. so i'm with sibi.
That's exactly how it happened. When I asked if I can just go over and get her, it's not that she objected so much about my going over and getting her. It was more that she said the gate was lock -bolted, which it was. But, the lock was a mangled and twisted piece of steel, and the door was loose . With just a slide and a push, it opened. Now, if the locked door was secured, I really wouldn't have had the opportunity to go get her. I would have no choice but to wait. That just wasn't yhe case here. Look, the real issue here was that there was a precious life at stake here, at least in my mind. Baby Runt is like my baby. What human could leave a living soul suffering from cold and hunger for even a minute much less for several more hours? Remember, this lady had no clue on how to take care of this exotic animal much less an animal with special needs. In the end, she not only understood, she apologized for having her outside all night. All went well for everyone involved. End of story.