Hailey M

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Hi so my sister was watching my tortoise Casey and let him outside and was supervising him.I guess she got distracted or sm Bc she lost him and I’m absolutely devastated.I was not there when he went missing and only got the call that he was 3 hours after.I’ve been looking for him for 4 days by now.I absolutely cannot find him anywhere.I’ve read tons of articles for tips and still absolutely no luck.
I’ve informed neighbors and put up flyers,contacted animal control,vets and posted on multiple Facebook forums. 😭
I’ve looked everywhere and can’t find him.My yard isn’t fenced in either and there are shallow woods in the back so he could be anywhere… I’m so scared.

Attachments

• 9D78BA7F-212B-4C5A-B990-93B49F319783.jpeg
    9D78BA7F-212B-4C5A-B990-93B49F319783.jpeg
    114 KB · Views: 17
  • 685FB416-7CD4-43AE-AC5B-5CA828F1F5E9.jpeg
    685FB416-7CD4-43AE-AC5B-5CA828F1F5E9.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • 3D6A7F3F-BB88-47C3-AE66-6003404A4899.jpeg
    3D6A7F3F-BB88-47C3-AE66-6003404A4899.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 17

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Wow, this is so upsetting for you and I am very sorry. But don't give up yet. Keep trying everything you can think of and looking. He may be very close by. If you have a dog, maybe he or she could help find the tortoise, or a friend's dog...walking with the dog on a leash through the woods and encouraging him to find the tortoise...it may work.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Terribly sorry to hear this, @Hailey M .

Search well. Look for burrows, look under things, inside anything they can crawl into. wait for the morning sun as it might bring the tortoise out of hiding, and alert the neighbors.

Offer a reward as @wellington was smart to tell a member at TFO who sadly lost his/her tort in the past.

Check tort vets.

Good luck!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Wow, this is so upsetting for you and I am very sorry. But don't give up yet. Keep trying everything you can think of and looking. He may be very close by. If you have a dog, maybe he or she could help find the tortoise, or a friend's dog...walking with the dog on a leash through the woods and encouraging him to find the tortoise...it may work.
Yep, a dog would definitely help find a tort.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
My childhood dog passed so no I do not have dog,my friend has a dog but it’s not trained to track.I do not know any dogs that are trained to track out specific scents or tortoises.
Borrow a neighbors dog, just take it for a walk in the area where you thing the Tortoise may be, it won’t hurt to try. Dog don't have to be trained, my sister inlaws dog is always bringing box turtles home from finding then in the wood around her house. He does not hurt them, he just finds them and carries them home in his mouth.

OliveW

Branford, FL
My childhood dog passed so no I do not have dog,my friend has a dog but it’s not trained to track.I do not know any dogs that are trained to track out specific scents or tortoises.

Any dog will do!! All four of our dogs regularly sniff out gopher tortoises in our woods. If there is one nearby, they will be running through the woods, sniffing the ground and will find it. No training required!
My Newfoundland used to bring them inside, through the dog door. Thankfully, she wasn't trying to harm them, and never left a mark on them, just wanted to bring them to her dog bed and lay down and lick them like babies.

My current dogs are afraid of them, but they track them down all the time to bark at them.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Any dog will do!! All four of our dogs regularly sniff out gopher tortoises in our woods. If there is one nearby, they will be running through the woods, sniffing the ground and will find it. No training required!
My Newfoundland used to bring them inside, through the dog door. Thankfully, she wasn't trying to harm them, and never left a mark on them, just wanted to bring them to her dog bed and lay down and lick them like babies.

My current dogs are afraid of them, but they track them down all the time to bark at them.
Any dog understands a hunt. Some are more compelled than others but they all love a good game. It may be worth a try.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Am sorry to hear that about our dog.
No,it’s been 5 days I’m so so upset.I love Casey so so much :(
Any news?

Hope to hear you've found your tortoise.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Could I put his enclosure outside? Would he go too it?

I’ve tried to put food out but nothing..

Could I try to put a fake tortoise out or play female tortoise sounds while looking???
Sorry to hear that.

Personally, I don't think that putting his enclosure outside would attract his attention. (Don't mean to demoralize you, so please do not misunderstand me).

As far as placing a tortoise is concerned, torts do not like company.

@Tom
@ZEROPILOT
@Yvonne G
@wellington

Please help. Thanks very much.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Putting the enclosure outside won't help. I don't think another tortoise or noise will either. You could try but likely a waste of time.
Just keep looking. Feeling with hands under things. Look in places you dont think he'd go. Don't give up and don't give up hope. Many have been found days, weeks, months later.