Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Yes I agree with ZEROPILOT and putting a favorite food out. They don't know they've escaped. The little Russian is just exploring and they don't forget where the food was plus they're lazy.. Put the food out in the morning around 8 am where the tort was when s/he went missing. I figure the brat comes home every day and is hiding in a plant in your yard.🤗🙏

Hailey M

Massachusetts
Sorry to hear that.

Personally, I don't think that putting his enclosure outside would attract his attention. (Don't mean to demoralize you, so please do not misunderstand me).

As far as placing a tortoise is concerned, torts do not like company.

@Tom
@ZEROPILOT
@Yvonne G
@wellington

Please help. Thanks very much.
It’s ok it was just a suggestion that came up multiple times,I’m so desperate I’ll do anything at this point.my birthday is tomorrow and I don’t even care or want to do anything..I’ve had cash since I was 9,I’m turning 20 now.All I want to do is find him.Casey was a extremely important part of giving me a somewhat happy childhood and idk what I’m going to do without him.
It also doesn’t help that I’m the only one looking for him.

Hailey M

Massachusetts
Food. Place a pile of food in an open area and watch it.
My only escaped tortoises was found days later trying to break back in for food.
They don't know that they've escaped. They're just looking for food
I’ve only put out food once,but it wasn’t touched and there where ants on it,I’ve looked in my front yard,back yard,woods near the backyard and my neighbors front and back yard and I still can’t find him,should I try putting out food again?

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
I’ve only put out food once,but it wasn’t touched and there where ants on it,I’ve looked in my front yard,back yard,woods near the backyard and my neighbors front and back yard and I still can’t find him,should I try putting out food again?
Yes!, yes, keep putting food out, and don't give up.
In my experience with my buddy Seymour when he get's out in my backyard, which is nowhere near as big as yours, sometimes he active, and it seems like most the time he is not. Typically when he gets out I will find him "hunkered down" in some spot, once in a while I will cross path with him , , I'll turn my head and BAM there he is.
So, Keep walking, searching under things. Hopefully you will find your buddy, 🤞 I have my fingers crossed for the two of you... 🤞
There is nothing to lose in continuing to search, and everything to gain!:tort:

Hailey M

Massachusetts
In my experience with my buddy Seymour when he get's out in my backyard, which is nowhere near as big as yours, sometimes he active, and it seems like most the time he is not. Typically when he gets out I will find him "hunkered down" in some spot, once in a while I will cross path with him , , I'll turn my head and BAM there he is.
So, Keep walking, searching under things. Hopefully you will find your buddy, 🤞 I have my fingers crossed for the two of you... 🤞
Where should I put food out? In my back yard and front yard in designated spots or should I scatter it across the lawn,he could be in my neighbors yard on the side of our house.He’s weirdly obsessed with it.I’m just nervous he could be in the woods,Also do you leave food overnight or do you put it out and take it away?

I have left water near the spot where he was last seen

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
He'll be looking for food and shelter.
He'll either be found looking for food or under a bush

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Any news? Hope o hear you've found your tort.

Do not give up.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I’ve looked under every bush and tree I can find..
Sapphire is so hard to find in his outdoor enclosure it's crazy. He has a large plantain in it and that's where I found him after several searches in that plant. So I still think a little bit of a favorite food where the tort went missing is a good thing. They remember their trecks. Don't give up.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
My childhood dog passed so no I do not have dog,my friend has a dog but it’s not trained to track.I do not know any dogs that are trained to track out specific scents or tortoises.
Dogs have a keen sense of smell & can be trained to sniff out objects of interest, including tortoises .

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Sapphire is so hard to find in his outdoor enclosure it's crazy. He has a large plantain in it and that's where I found him after several searches in that plant. So I still think a little bit of a favorite food where the tort went missing is a good thing. They remember their trecks. Don't give up.
Oh yeah and they like the same walk about every day. Same little path different day 🤠 searching for snacks 😉

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Dogs have a keen sense of smell & can be trained to sniff out objects of interest, including tortoises .

Yes. And it doesn't take long to train them with the right breed and dog. I used to have a little cocker named Coco that would help us find our gerbil escapes 😊

Hailey M

Massachusetts
Hi so my sister was watching my tortoise Casey and let him outside and was supervising him.I guess she got distracted or sm Bc she lost him and I’m absolutely devastated.I was not there when he went missing and only got the call that he was 3 hours after.I’ve been looking for him for 4 days by now.I absolutely cannot find him anywhere.I’ve read tons of articles for tips and still absolutely no luck.
I’ve informed neighbors and put up flyers,contacted animal control,vets and posted on multiple Facebook forums. 😭
I’ve looked everywhere and can’t find him.My yard isn’t fenced in either and there are shallow woods in the back so he could be anywhere… I’m so scared
Any luck yet?
not yet…I keep having dreams about him,I’m sorry I haven’t been replying on here I’ve been very depressed.

Hailey M

Massachusetts
Hi @Hailey M .

Any news as far as your tor is concerned?
Not yet,It’s been very hard to look since I do not live at the house with my mother and sister,I work now too so that takes up time.I’m sorry I feel like I’ve neglected this tread.I’ve been very depressed and I honestly try not to think about it.I just want him back..

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Not yet,It’s been very hard to look since I do not live at the house with my mother and sister,I work now too so that takes up time.I’m sorry I feel like I’ve neglected this tread.I’ve been very depressed and I honestly try not to think about it.I just want him back..
Terribly sorry you have not found your tort yet. Don't give up, hope is the last thing to die.

And no need to apologize for not having answered: each and every one of us has his/her own issues.

Good luck!

OliveW

Branford, FL
No,it’s been 5 days I’m so so upset.I love Casey so so much :(

Don’t give up! Keep putting out favorite food around your mom’s house.

I just read where this lady found hers after two years. Thought it may inspire you some.

327034D9-EB58-4851-AED1-6ED05E973224.jpeg

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Don’t give up! Keep putting out favorite food around your mom’s house.

I just read where this lady found hers after two years. Thought it may inspire you some.

View attachment 349193
That's what I think too about escapee tortoises but of course that's only my opinion. It would be interesting to find out what their roaming range is and how long it takes them to get around it. I guess it would maybe depend on the size of the tortoise also. And then there's the miracle of being at the right place at the right time and be able to see them. My tortoise can camouflage himself really well in an enclosure I know he can't escape from.