I love Florida

turtlemanfla88

I love Florida has great weather to keep and raise turtles and tortoises, but I do a lot of driving. Today I stopped to move a gopher tortoise out of traffic and another driver moved the tortoise to where it was going. That was great then I was driving and saw another get ran over. I see them getting ran over all the time then one I can move I move out of the way. Funny story from last year on four lane road I and another driver moved three to four cooters/sliders out of harms way. Well i had to educate other driver do not put turtles in grassy median take them to other side away from traffic.
"common sense is not that common"
I had to vent to turtle and tortoise people.
Thanks,
Mark

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh, don't get me started on common sense. It would do this work a lot of good if more people had it. I think if I seen someone run over a turtle/tortoise, I would have to chase them down and well, can't say on here what I would do, but it wouldn't be nice. They would hear words that would make most blush and then I would probably throw their keys into traffic:D Not the most fondest of people, specially when the run over something that they most likely can avoid.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Yes because the turtle will TOTALLY STAY THERE, and not go back into the street!
On the 4th of July, there was a painted turtle in the road, so you know, went to help the little guy. I was standing on the side of my notverybusy street and I SWEAR that this truck I was waiting for to pass SWERVED TO HIT this little, defenseless turtle sitting in the road. :mad: Its not like it was in the way, because the turtle was almost in the OTHER LANE, so it wasn't like OOPS, I just kinda totally hit the gas because I'm really cool!
It made me so mad at the guy, but It was great when another passing vehicle stopped to cheer as the turtle waddled into the yard he was great to cross to. It'd good to know some people still care, but I just don't get why that one guy decided to try and MURDER the one turtle who he had never even seen before, and had never bothered him ever!
:(
Good job for trying to save tortoise/turtles where you live!!!

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Yes because the turtle will TOTALLY STAY THERE, and not go back into the street!
On the 4th of July, there was a painted turtle in the road, so you know, went to help the little guy. I was standing on the side of my notverybusy street and I SWEAR that this truck I was waiting for to pass SWERVED TO HIT this little, defenseless turtle sitting in the road. :mad: Its not like it was in the way, because the turtle was almost in the OTHER LANE, so it wasn't like OOPS, I just kinda totally hit the gas because I'm really cool!
It made me so mad at the guy, but It was great when another passing vehicle stopped to cheer as the turtle waddled into the yard he was great to cross to. It'd good to know some people still care, but I just don't get why that one guy decided to try and MURDER the one turtle who he had never even seen before, and had never bothered him ever!
:(
Good job for trying to save tortoise/turtles where you live!!!
That must be frustrating (Aren't there like "animal protection laws"?) I hope all the torts you save are out of harms way, literally :)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Yes, but they are like those litter fine 500$ signs, because no one is enforcing them.... :(
Ihope they stay that way, and don't come back into the road.

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
I'm from the UK... And it's crazy to think you guys come across these all the time, I can't imagine...
It's common to see hedgehog, fox, squirrel, birds, or even badger in road kill. But I can't imagine what it's like for you